Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

IC 10 Irregular Galaxy in Cassiopeia?

Hi All, does anyone know if the above galaxy is visible in a telescope, if so, what power are we looking at, and what eyepieces, would I need a filter, if so, which one is best?

Any advice from anyone who has seen it would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

I've never seen it, but the IC designation is an indication that it was missed by the Herschels, so that's a clue that it won't be easy.

It was discovered by Lewis Swift in 1887 using a 16" refractor. He described it as "Faint star involved in extremely faint, very large nebula". So it's a large, low surface brightness object. The large size means you shouldn't need huge aperture - a 12" should do it and a smaller scope may well manage it. However the low surface brightness means you'll need a very dark sky, and that will be the essential thing. You would find the field using a good map and low power eyepiece, get the exact spot, and raise power until you get the best view. It's a galaxy so filters of any kind are only going to make it dimmer.

Lewis Swift was very keen eyed, and he used a superb telescope at a pristine site. I've seen quite a lot of his discoveries and many of them are difficult objects, so IC10 sounds an interesting challenge if you've got the right sort of observing conditions.

IC11 is easier: it's another name for NGC 281, the "Pacman Nebula" also in Cassiopeia. It was discovered by Barnard in 1881 using a 5" refractor. That's one I've seen.

I would have suggested you check out the data at the NGC/IC Project but the site is currently down for some reason.

According to stellarium, it's mag 10.3, and 5 arcminutes across. A nebula filter wouldn't help, but a light pollution filter may. It would probably appear at low power as a very faint fuzzy star, on a good dark night, but it would probably appear as a better fuzzy disc with more zoom. I've never seen it, but it should be possible in a 200p on a dark night, unlike most IC objects

Archived