NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SCT Crayford

Hi

Yes I have this exact same model on my CPC925 and its really good once its sorted. I have one of the JMI motor focusers fitted as well and and that is also really good.

People give Crayford focusers on here a hard time and they can have their problems with slipping I must admit but I find that once these Skywatcher Crayfords are adjusted up then they are ok.

One of the biggest problems with the Skywatcher Crayfords is that for the focuser to work well the focusing shaft must be pushed firmly and squarely onto the draw tube flat and with the Skywatcher focusers this situation is not really helped by the design as one end of the shaft is fixed in place by the two speed micro-focuser mechanism.

When adjusting the focuser you need to adjust not only the tension on the shaft but also you need to adjust the position of the focusing mechanism so that he shaft is allowed to sit squarely against the draw tube.

The two focusers I have were both poorly set-up at the factory, once adjusted they seemed a million miles better.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It looks to be the same as the Revelation, which I have. It is a chunky piece of kit and works find out of the box with a Canon 500D (520 grams with battery, so a bit less since I use a power adaptor). The Nikon is 765 grams with battery. I suspect it will work since the Canon doesn't exactly push the capabilities of the focuser. It has a locking screw in case there is any slippage, but I have not needed to use it.

Approx 50 mm, I've bought an SCT / skywatcher Mak adaptor that doesn't fit... But the SCT end of the adaptor appears yo be the same as the back of my scope

Sounds a lot like your Mak has an SCT thread on the back then. The standard SCT thread is 2" 24tpi (from memory).

Skywatcher changed the thread sizes on the back of some of the Mak range last year (I think), which makes things quite confusing if you don't know where you're starting from.

James

Cheers James, I'll know tomorrow as I have an SCT focuser on the way...

you'd think that Skywatcher would be bigging up the fact that they've finally made access to SCT accessories easier :D

Archived