Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Coronado SM II 60 - barlow in front of BF, and which one

I bought a Coronado SM 60 II solar scope and fitted it with a moonlite focuser to use it with my binoviewer. Unfortunately it turned out that i dont have enough infocus for my Maxbright, even with the 2.6 corrector.

It was now suggested that i could employ a barlow in front of the blocking filter. Would it be safe to do so ?

And as my 2" 1.6 Antares barlow does not look trustworthy enough to me to carry the BF with a binoviewer, what other options for a good and not to heavy 2" barlow are out there. I would ideally screw the barlow element in the 2"/1.25" adapter that holds the BF, therefor avoiding to put any physical burden on the barlow.

yes its safe to to put the barlow in front of the blocking filter, I used a cheap 1.25 skywacher 2x barlow lens screwed into the blocking filter and it holds the weight of the Williams binowviewer fine. This is with the standard SM 60 II focuser.

That sounds encouraging. The only problem I might have is that the barlows in front of the BF will push up the magnification for my pair of 25mm plossl.

I was aiming at a focal length of 10mm with the 2.6 GWK.

With the stronger magnification it might get to much.

Maybe I should have got a Lunt 60. Had no problem with a 1.7 GWK to come into focus :( (you can unscrew the ep holder on the Lunt BF and attach the Maxbright bino directly)

Archived