NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

A few questions about scopes

So, with some good advice from the community here I have decided (once the wallet can manage the hit) to get a Sky-Watcher Skyliner 150p but I have a couple of questions.

I will have to keep the scope in the shed (brick built outhouse really), is there anything I should do with it while it is stored? Wrap it, cover it etc?

Secondly, and this may be a bit of a schoolboy level question but I am really a full on beginner! What makes EQ munts better than Dobsonions for imaging purposes? I will eventually get to imaging myself but not for a fair while.

Thirdly, I will be buying the scope second hand, are there any obvious or serious things I should look out for, anything that would scream "dont buy this!" for instance?

Thanks in advance

OK, I'll try to answer your questions. Others might give better answers ... :)

1- For storing the telescope make sure of the following:

• Keep it away from any direct sunlight
  • All caps must stay on when the telescope is not in use - dust is the scope arch enemy
  • Keep the telescope away from damp places
  • It'll do you good if you cover the telescope when not in use - I'll suggest using ''space blankets'', they're good at retaining temperature - they'll give a level of insulation from outside temperature.

2- EQ ( Equatorial) mounts are better suited for imaging because they're designed to match in movement the earth rotation. In other word, they're built in a way that allow them to track a celestial object by compensating to the earth spinning. If you want to image a deep sky object you need to do long exposure in order to collect as much light as possible. If the mount doesn't track the being imaged object you'll get star trails in your pictures.

Dobosonians on the other hand function as alt-az mounts, that is, rotate on the base and up-and-down on the fork - or holders. Motorized Dobsonians can track well for visual, but as far as I know are not good at achieving long exposure.

3- Make sure the primary mirror is clean (the last thing you want to do is clean the mirror). You know, first rule in cleaning your optics is ''don't clean your optics'' unless you absolutely have to. A bit of dust will not compromise your image quality. Reflecting telescope require occasional ''collimation'', that's, aligning the primary and secondary mirrors. To be honest, if you're buying second hand, you can first test it by looking at a remote object and see for yourself if the image is OK.

I hope this helps.

Ahh, makes sense on imaging now.

I have a bunch of space blankets in the car so thats good. The shed is not damp at all and i can blind the window so all good there I believe.

Depending on whats up for sale when I have some cash freed up I may even go for a 200P... depends :S

Thanks for advice as alwayson here.

200P will give you noticeably better views than the 150P. I think it collects 45% more light than the 150P - I think that's worth investing in. Bear in mind that aperture rules, that is, the larger the aperture the more light you receive..and subsequently more things to see . You'll see more details on planets and fainter deep sky objects.

By the way, this book will answer literally all your questions. I saw it online a month ago and ordered it - older versions - for 99p off Amazon. I ended up reading it cover to cover. It basically walks you through all the available astro kit and what it is for, DIY astronomy, astronomy terms and usages and many other things. Couldn't recommend it more :D

OK, well as long as the wallet can cope with it when the time comes I will be looking for a 200p then, hopefully I will be able to get a 2nd hand one for under £200, gonna be a couple months yet though sadly.

By the way, this book will answer literally all your questions. I saw it online a month ago and ordered it - older versions - for 99p off Amazon. I ended up reading it cover to cover. It basically walks you through all the available astro kit and what it is for, DIY astronomy, astronomy terms and usages and many other things. Couldn't recommend it more :D

Nice one, thanks emad, ill look for a cooy. Im also looking for a chepa copy of turn left at orion :)

Nice one, thanks emad, ill look for a cooy. Im also looking for a chepa copy of turn left at orion :)

Have you checked with your local Library, to see if copies of books you are interested in are available ?

I havnt actually, no... Must join the library lol, I didnt even think of that doh.

Im getting pretty excited now, Ive put some stuff up for sale that if all goes well will net me around £300, enough to get myself a 2nd hand skyliner 200p and if im lucky a couple of extra's, im currently thinking a good planetary viewing EP, something for DSOs and maybe a telrad. Am I doing it wrong or am i on the right track?

Archived