Meade Series 4000 8-24mm Zoom Eyepiece

stevil

Hi all,

I am now at the point where I am looking at getting new eyepieces for my Mak 127 and came across quite favourable reviews of the Meade Series 4000 8-24mm Zoom Eyepiece.

I see that the Mark 3 Hyperion is a click stop and the Meade 4000 is not. Excuse the daft question but does that mean that you can select anywhere between 8 and 24 inclusive? E.g. 8mm as well as 9mm?

Thanks

Steve

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Hi Steve, yes, basically, but both can be used anywhere on the spectrum, just because it is a 'clickstop' doesn't mean you only have a stop at those points, most zooms are very flexible, the only downside to them is that generally, they have a narrower field of view.

Thats great, thanks.

Thats got me pondering between those 2 now or a small mix of BSTs and TMB planetaries. I had considered the Meade zoom as it would be cheaper than a few eyepieces and would take up less room. I am going to get an additional 32mm eyepiece regardless.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

Hi Steve, I have to admit, I prefer a mix of fixed-length ep's, you get better, wider fields of view etc, especially with the BST Explorer/StarGuiders, damn comfortable ep's. I have not tried the TMB Planetaries myself, perhaps someone else will chip in on those. A 32mm ep is good low power one to have, the Tele Vue is a good one if you can afford it, otherwise the GSO or Celestron versions are good.

Thanks, I think you've made the case for individual eps if they are comfortable to use.

I guess I could go for either an 8 or 9mm, a 12mm and the 32mm GSO and combined they'll come to just above the price of the zoom lens. Dont know then if its worth getting a replacement 25mm...is it worth it for my Mak 127 do you think?

Cheers

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

Hi Steve, an 8mm, a 12mm and a 32mm plossl would be a good choice to start with, perhaps adding the 18mm a bit later, please note if you are thinking of the BST's then they are best used with the twist-up eyecups fully extended both for comfort and to avoid occasional blacking out on the shorter focal legnths (5 and 8mm). But yes, I think this is the better route, obviously the one I have taken as well, I am very pleased with the great results I get, though I have also tried the zooms. The eyepieces highlighted will work well in your Mak 127, as will most ep's, the long focal length of the scope is very kind to ep's.

i got an astro engineering 8 - 24mm zoom when i bought my ETX 125 and although its the only zoom eyepiece i have used i have to say im very happy with it. Very handy when using filters so you dont need to change it all the time when you want more mag. Also very little focusing required when zooming. It also has the ability to connect a camera directly into it by unscrewing the rubber eye cup and attaching a camera. (not tried this tho)

On a side note...i added a barlow to it when looking at the moon and was able to focus no problem at 8mm (4mm with barlow) giving a 475x mag way above the scopes limits. Dunno if thats due to the scope, the EP or both tho :)

Archived