NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

July 4, 2013: Solar session during tennis

No, not Wimbledon, just my youngest's tennis lessons. I took along the scope and from 15:30 until 16:30 switched between watching the sun and watching my son. Apart from AR 1787 and 1785, quite a few smaller proms were visible. A decent size one on the western limb was close to a slightly odd arc, consisting of two short "pillars" and a very thin bridge, running almost parallel to the limb, between them. This was quite faint and could only be spotted at low magnification. It stayed put for quite a while, but towards 15:50 I noticed it was moving away from the limb, forming a red gossamer thread arcing gracefully over the surface. As it stretched and moved away from the sun, it got fainter and fainter, until around 16:15 I could no longer spot it. Not perhaps the most spectacular prom I have seen but it certainly moved about

Nice session by the sounds of it Michael. I do enjoy it when you can actually see movement in the proms within a short timeframe.

I managed some white light observing during the men's final, kept switching between the two.

A question. Which resource do you refer to for tracking the naming for the active regions?

Thanks

Stu

Archived