NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Solar outreach programme

We were having a social BBQ lunch today at work, so I decided to take along my 80ED/EQ5 & Baader filter to offer views of the Sun to those interested.

I must find a way to actually find the Sun quicker, took a little too long and people were saying "it's there, it can't be that hard!".

Anyway, eventually got it lined up and convinced around 20 people to have look, then spent another 20 times explaining that the black dots were actual Sun spots and not just dirt on the lens.

Certainly something different and a few asked further questions around stargazing, astronomy and equipment - who knows, might have piqued people's interest enough to get them to join :)

Matt

Very good idea Matt. I take my Lunt 60 to work on a regular basis, mostly I admit to get some images for myself, but pretty much every time I set up some one from a neighbouring company comes and has a look.

A solar finder, although expensive, is the way to go. Many a time I have missed my gap in the clouds trying to get the scope centred on the sun, the solar finder makes it very quick.

Robin

If the Solar finder is too much. Just use the shadow method. Get the scope's shadow as small as you can on each axis with a widefield EP in and you wont be far away. Easy to center from the glare at the edge of the view if you're not spot on straight away.:)

Baz.

That's a lovely idea, Matt. Reminds me of John Dobson et al outreaching with the Moon. Although I have no worries if folk want a go, I generally keep all my viewing and astro-related stuff 'top secret'. I always get the impression that folk think I'm into

this:

post-21324-0-19415900-1368572483_thumb.j

or this:

post-21324-0-26161400-1368572085_thumb.g

There's a few sites you might like to have a look at:

Space Weather

White Light

I just use the shadow method but I always take a peek through the diagonal without eyepiece just to make sure I'm lined up well. With a little practice it shouldn't take too long.

Hi Matt,

The solar finder you found looks ideal, you can buy them direct as well, not sure there is any difference in price though. I bought two masks from this guy, both well made so I would think that the sun finder would be equally good. Like Michael I use a Televue Sol-finder, they are a bit smaller, work exactly the same but are twice the money. The only reason I bought the Sol-finder is that it is small enough to be left on my scope all of the time, even when it is put in its padded box.

They are not that hard to make either, depending how handy you are.

Robin

Archived