Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Milky Way with a fisheye lens

Leo.A

Here's a stack of 10 images taken from my backyard. All 40 second exposures using a fisheye wide angle attachment on my Nikon 18-55mm lens, fitted to an old Nikon D80 (10.2MP).

I spent several hours last night in a dark location beside a road (and lake) in freezing conditions (-4C before wind chill factor) with strong winds (it's winter here) and captured multiple images, only to find I somehow messed the focus in the dark. I'm sure I checked it but everything was out of focus when I got home. I'll get better another night when I feel well enough. I was hoping to do a panorama but it will have to wait.

Unfortuantely, all my images at home get spoiled by street lighting and a neighbours aircraft landing light which seems to come on every time I carry a camera or telescope outside.

MW_13_lw_3_zpsa6f9a7c0.jpg

The focus issue is more due to the cheap (see affordable) X0.18 wide angle adaptor I put on my 18-55 F3.5 Nikon lens. I have played with the focus but can't quite get it right, even using autofocus (then switching to manual) doesn't sharpen it at all.

I wish everyone could see what I see every clear night when I look up at the night sky!

We had a couple of months of near continual rain but now we're getting the most beautiful clear skies in the country region I live in. Problem with the Milky Way directly overhead, it makes it so much harder for me to fit much in with any of my decent lenses (original Nikon).

Archived