Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Orion Optics 10" ODK - any users out there?

Hi All, Looking for some feedback on the Orion Optics (UK) 10 inch ODK. I've also been looking at the AG10, although they are completely different beasts I want to make sure I consider all options before diving in.

I have a SW NEQ6 Pro on a pier in an observatory so not looking to lug the scope around but not sure if the mount is suitable for a scope of this size.

I'm an imager not observer so its the scopes photographic prowess that I'm interested in. If anyone has any images through one of these scopes could they post a link or the photos

Many thanks

Francis

Hi Mike,

I don't own one but its one option I'm looking at as an upgrade/change. i'm shooting currently with a Atik 383L+ mono but I know I'll need to bin the output if I go with the ODK (or AG10)

Hi Mike,

I don't own one but its one option I'm looking at as an upgrade/change. i'm shooting currently with a Atik 383L+ mono but I know I'll need to bin the output if I go with the ODK (or AG10)

Would you need to bin with the AG at F3.8? I wouldn't have thought so. The FL is what, 950mm? The idea that 'trying to resolve below 2 arcseconds doesn't work' seems to have been well and truly knocked on the head, these days.

Olly

Hi Francis,

I see you started another thread asking about the AG10 as well...

I have had an ODK10 for a couple of years but for a combination of reasons I don't have any images to show that would give a fair indication of the scopes performance (location, poor mount, inexperience etc etc).

I'm currently digging up my observatory floor to put a bigger concrete mass below the pier, at least 2 cubic metres, to try and dampen the mount shake caused by traffic crossing nearby road humps.

I also bought an AG8 earlier this year in an attempt to improve my imaging by capturing shorter subs in the faster scope and try to reduce the degradation caused by the shaking.

It didn't work....so the observatory is shut now until the Autumn when I hope to have the changes complete.

Anyway, to answer partially your question, the ODK 10 with camera, dovetail, guide scope, cabling and heaters attached weighs exactly 18Kg and this is the upper limit quoted for imaging with the NEQ6.

Before I bought my ODK10 I joined the Orion Optics Yahoo group and asked for any other members to send me links to their pictures etc and kindly I had a few replies that helped me decide to buy the ODK10.

You will find the link to the Orion Users Yahoo group at the top of the Orion Optics home page, I think you will have better luck finding some ODK10 and AG10 images there.

If you're not in a rush I hope to have my own observatory up and running again (with a new Paramount MX firmly stuck to half a ton of concrete) by the end of September and will return to this thread to post some images.

William.

Olly / William - Thanks for the info and experiences. I really don't know which way to go on this, it might even just end up being enhanced coatings for the MN190 optics and a better focuser. With this last period of fine weather I can't really complain too much about the results with current kit...

Hi Willam,

Thanks for the Yahoo link to the OO forum. Had not realised it existed. I have been having problems bringing my SBIG STF8300M to focus with the ODK. Also my TV Ethos 21mm wound reach focus while the 13 and 8 are fine. Need some advice about spacers etc which the forum should help me with.

Thanks to you and Francis.

Mike

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Archived