NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

QHY5L-II color as guide camera

I know everyone recommends the mono version because of it's higher sensitivity, but I want to know if I could manage well autoguiding with the color version through my Skywatcher 9x50 finderscope?

I want to use it as a planetary camera as well sometimes & I can't be bothered with filter wheels and such until some time in the future when I go for a proper CCD.

I saw some beautiful images of Saturn & Jupiter taken with this camera and it would be really sad to miss the colour, plus it's a bit cheaper.

Of course my priority is to have functioning autoguiding, so if it's a big hassle I'd just go for the mono version, however if people are managing to autoguide well with the colour version, I think I'd prefer to do that. I'd love to hear your opinions. :)

I've been guiding with a qhy5v (mono, but small sensor at f/5 on an st80) and it works fine. I'd think you'll be ok with it on a finder scope (not sure on the focal ratio but I'd guess it to be faster, and with a much wider view of the sky). Best option, try it and see how you get on.

Archived