Very First Time Out

Taking my very first dedicated trip out to look at stars. Going to a very remote site in northern PA. Not looking for tips about the stars so much, more for the experience itself. What should I expect, what should I pack, stuff like that. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

A star atlas, coffee (or other beverage of your choice),and definitely insect repellant! Maybe a note book to write down or sketch some of your impressions too?

WHat kind of scope do you have?

And mostly, have fun!

A star atlas, coffee (or other beverage of your choice),and definitely insect repellant! Maybe a note book to write down or sketch some of your impressions too?

WHat kind of scope do you have?

And mostly, have fun!

...and Jaffa Cakes grin.gif

Taking my very first dedicated trip out to look at stars. Going to a very remote site in northern PA. Not looking for tips about the stars so much, more for the experience itself. What should I expect, what should I pack, stuff like that. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

*embarrassed* None. I planned on just enjoying it with eye and a old set of binoculars. Going to Cherry Springs State Park. I have grown up in rural areas but moved to the city in the last few years. I miss the dark...Bad idea to seek my roots in the stars?

if your doing it with binoculars - a reclining sun lounger and pillow!

lying back with your head and shoulders fully supported and your elbows on the arms of the lounger, you can stay in position with very stable binos (no image shake) for minutes at a time. Get up and reposition the lounger for the next target and away you go.

I did this on saturday night at clumber park and it was ace! Ok, I was fairly smashed after way too many bottles of beer wth my BBQ, but it didnt matter and I was still able to get a surprising number of globs around the south and east before i fell asleep on the lounger and got woken up at 7am with the sun on my face!!!

Living in a city, I try to head out to dark sites whenever possible, sometimes out in the mountains, sometimes in the deserts/scrublands or less often near the coast and would recommend the following:

• Prepare your clothes 10ºC to 15ºC less than the forecasted weather. Dress in layers and keep your feet, hands and head warm. Even in the summer you can be caught out. Always take a pair of gloves and hat, even if you don't wear them. Talking of glooves, I always have two types, thick wintery ones, and silky thin cycle ones. The former are great in the cold, the latter for all general purpose and covering exposed skin parts.
  • Take a good quality insect repellent out with you. Insect bites are quite nasty, so too with them buzzing around your head, so it might be an idea to borrow a girlfriend's or wife's silk scarf to wrap around your head - army style.
  • If you're heading to desert/scrublands you've also got to be careful of snakes and scorpians. They're probably more scared of you, but always check out the area you're going to view from before setting up and make sure you're not near wood bits, rubbish stuff, wild grasses, abandoned shacks and houses or low bushes. When out in the deserts, always wear thick socks tucked into your trousers and boots and glooves. Deserts really do get cold at night, even in the summer, so this isn't a worry.
  • I always take water (2L), sandwiches, cash and mobile phone and always let my girlfriend know where I viewing from.
  • Red light is essential but get one you can tuck inside a thin gloove and which can be cupped in your palm (I use a small bike light). Not only do you not trouble other observers with too bright a light, but Insects love the light and to reduce this as much as possible is quite handy.
  • Apart from the usual gear (eyepieces, telescope, viewfinders, atlas, sketch book with pens and pencils etc) I always take out a thin, light weight blanket. This is really handy for setting up on, so if anything is dropped it is easy to recover.
  • Pirate's eye patch is also great. You keep your viewing eye covered when using the red light, it makes viewing more relaxed without winking or squinting.
  • Don't be afraid. Out in the middle of nowhere, miles away from the nearest civilisation, in the darkness below that awe-inspiring beauty above maybe something we're not used to. But there is very, very little to be worried about. I always figure humans are your greatest danger.

I hope that gives some food for thought.

Even with a pair of bins, if you get dark skies you will still see plenty.

Yes a star atlas or planisphere, hot drink, and a comfortable chair..

I didn't think of the hot drink. Voice of experiance here, I suppose. I don't know if I am qulaified to use a star atlas.

A star atlas will help a lot! :)

Like I said, not sure if I am techinally able to use one. Never have before.

I'd pack a red astronomy flashlight to go with your star charts, I'd hate to see you ruin your nightvision during an opportunity like that.

~clear skies

Going to see if I enjoy it first before I throw some money in it, I think.

if your doing it with binoculars - a reclining sun lounger and pillow!

lying back with your head and shoulders fully supported and your elbows on the arms of the lounger, you can stay in position with very stable binos (no image shake) for minutes at a time. Get up and reposition the lounger for the next target and away you go.

I did this on saturday night at clumber park and it was ace! Ok, I was fairly smashed after way too many bottles of beer wth my BBQ, but it didnt matter and I was still able to get a surprising number of globs around the south and east before i fell asleep on the lounger and got woken up at 7am with the sun on my face!!!

I am bringing a good chair! I am worried I'll fall asleep though. Hopefully the view will keep me awake.

Living in a city, I try to head out to dark sites whenever possible, sometimes out in the mountains, sometimes in the deserts/scrublands or less often near the coast and would recommend the following:

• Prepare your clothes 10ºC to 15ºC less than the forecasted weather. Dress in layers and keep your feet, hands and head warm. Even in the summer you can be caught out. Always take a pair of gloves and hat, even if you don't wear them. Talking of glooves, I always have two types, thick wintery ones, and silky thin cycle ones. The former are great in the cold, the latter for all general purpose and covering exposed skin parts.
  • Take a good quality insect repellent out with you. Insect bites are quite nasty, so too with them buzzing around your head, so it might be an idea to borrow a girlfriend's or wife's silk scarf to wrap around your head - army style.
  • If you're heading to desert/scrublands you've also got to be careful of snakes and scorpians. They're probably more scared of you, but always check out the area you're going to view from before setting up and make sure you're not near wood bits, rubbish stuff, wild grasses, abandoned shacks and houses or low bushes. When out in the deserts, always wear thick socks tucked into your trousers and boots and glooves. Deserts really do get cold at night, even in the summer, so this isn't a worry.
  • I always take water (2L), sandwiches, cash and mobile phone and always let my girlfriend know where I viewing from.
  • Red light is essential but get one you can tuck inside a thin gloove and which can be cupped in your palm (I use a small bike light). Not only do you not trouble other observers with too bright a light, but Insects love the light and to reduce this as much as possible is quite handy.
  • Apart from the usual gear (eyepieces, telescope, viewfinders, atlas, sketch book with pens and pencils etc) I always take out a thin, light weight blanket. This is really handy for setting up on, so if anything is dropped it is easy to recover.
  • Pirate's eye patch is also great. You keep your viewing eye covered when using the red light, it makes viewing more relaxed without winking or squinting.
  • Don't be afraid. Out in the middle of nowhere, miles away from the nearest civilisation, in the darkness below that awe-inspiring beauty above maybe something we're not used to. But there is very, very little to be worried about. I always figure humans are your greatest danger.

I hope that gives some food for thought.

That is some excellent advice, exactly the sort of stuff I am looking for. Some of those I had considered (the blanket and the water) but I haven't considered some of the others. The patch idea is a good one and one I may use (never would have thought of that myself).

Happily I am not in the catergory of humans afraid of the dark. I find it quite relaxing actually (he says that until he sprains his ankle).

Thanks everyone for the tips. Hopefully try and avoid some rookie mistakes.

Following just half of the given advice will ensure you have a good time mate,

But if you make a mistake so what ?

There is no better way of learning than your own experiences once you start to give it a go , the muffled curse as you realise you have forgotten to do something , the little pat on the back you give yourself next time because you remember :)

Following just half of the given advice will ensure you have a good time mate,

But if you make a mistake so what ?

There is no better way of learning than your own experiences once you start to give it a go , the muffled curse as you realise you have forgotten to do something , the little pat on the back you give yourself next time because you remember :)

It is a 3 hour drive to the site, so I want to get it right!

Archived