Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

FOV with my 200p

Something I'm starting to realise is a key to my finding my way around the sky is correlating what I see with Stellarium / Skeye and my telescope.

So can anyone tell me what the field of view is with the 2 standard eyepieces (25mm & 10mm) and the finder scope supplied with my Skywatcher 200P?

thanks everyone

Tim.

Easy to work these things out. Skywatcher Plossls supposedly have a 50 degree apparent field of view. The 200P dob has focal length 1200mm. So the 25mm EP gives magnification 1200/25 = 48 and has a true field of view 50/48 = 1.04 degrees. The 10mm gives magnification 120 and FOV 0.42 degrees. You can turn that into arcminutes by multiplying by 60: the 10mm has true field 25'.

That's assuming the stated 50 degrees is accurate. You can measure the field for yourself by timing the passage of a star across the field of view.

http://www.umanitoba.ca/faculties/science/astronomy/cbrown/16207/fov.htm

The finder FOV is never stated (I've looked). I think it's about 7 degrees.

Easy to work these things out. Skywatcher Plossls supposedly have a 50 degree apparent field of view. The 200P dob has focal length 1200mm. So the 25mm EP gives magnification 1200/25 = 48 and has a true field of view 50/48 = 1.04 degrees. The 10mm gives magnification 120 and FOV 0.42 degrees. You can turn that into arcminutes by multiplying by 60: the 10mm has true field 25'.

That's assuming the stated 50 degrees is accurate. You can measure the field for yourself by timing the passage of a star across the field of view.

http://www.umanitoba...n/16207/fov.htm

The finder FOV is never stated (I've looked). I think it's about 7 degrees.

That's brilliant thanks.

You can also use the ocular viewer in Stellarium, a video on how to set it up here.

Thanks for that. I have tried already to do this but ended up with a 80x magnification (in the ocular view) so something was wrong. I'll watch the video and try again.

Thanks, I've looked at that before but got stuck with the "select a camera", I was hoping to see my eyepieces listed.

Click the "Switch to visual view" (to the right of the Submit button) ;).

Archived