NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Symbiotic spectral lines?

Hi Guys

I have been trying some symbiotics from Robins Low Resolution Spectroscopy guide.

One such star is BD Cam which I took a spectrum of last night under not ideal conditions and it roughly follows an M3ii spectrum.

I can`t really make out any of the strong emission lines suggested in the guide namely Fe,Ciii,Ha etc although this star is supposed to be strong in zirconium oxide emission but I can`t seem to find any info on these. Can anyone point me to where this info might be found please as I can`t seem to find it in Richard Walkers book either?.

post-15973-0-70265600-1372968432_thumb.j

Thanks

Steve

Steve,

Not sure I can help.

Gray and Corbally p 331 shows details of various symbiotic stars CI Cyg, AG Dra, CH Cyg.

The TiO bands are prominent and show in your spectrum.

In the S-type stars, p326, the ZrO bands at 4471, 4620,5305,5379,5552 etc can become visible....

Most of the BTB - "big thick books" only cover the elements - there are many on-line databases available...

The problem comes when we want molecular and compound(s) spectra - it get's a bit more complicated...

I have a few BTB's

"Principles of Atomic Spectra" by Shore and Menzel. 538 pages, they don't get to compounds!

likewise

"Practical Spectroscopy", Harrison, Lord & Loofbourow, 605 pages, and they ONLY touch on molecules and compounds.

IMHO "Stellar Spectral Classification", Gray & Corbally, is probably as good as it gets for our astronomical spectra and gives examples (and wavelengths) of most of the prominent molecular/ compound bands.

Archived