NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Blind Date!

Spacedout

Okay maybe not the blind date you were thinking of but a blind date or sorts and I needed a good topic title!

I am fairly newish to this astronomy lark and would really appreciate the opportunity to learn from others with much more experience. I am based in Meppershall, Bedfordshire and I'm looking to see if there is anyone nearby who does not mind passing down some of their hard earned knowledge! It would also be good know of likeminded people nearby so I can stop boring my wife to tears :crybaby2:

I have been into astronomy for about 1 1/2 years and currently use an C11 mounted on AZ EQ6. I also own a Mallincam for Video Astronomy which is also a lot of fun. There are many things I still need to learn but hot on that list is polar alignment and accurate collimation of an SCT.

Thanks

Karl

Hi Dave,

Thank you and yes this forum has an abundance of knowledgeable people. I have learnt a lot already from people on this forum amongst others and no doubt will continue to do so. However, it is always good to get hands on experience from those in the know. This speeds up the learning process which is needed given the amount of time we actually get to practice with this weather!

Anyway it is worth a go, for all I know my neighbour could work for NASA :huh2:

Regards

Karl

For where you are there is a club at Bedford, Letchworth as the closest.

Further afield is St Neots, Cambridge and Luton.

Bedford Don't know the club myself, think it is quite big.

Letchworth Club meets one evening and observes another, they seem sensible and observe on a Friday/Saturday. This seems to be your closest. Down the A600 then left at Ickleford to Letchworth puts you close to their observing site at Standalone Farm. Was/Is fairly large.

St Neots Meet at Paxton Pits just off the Ai, have fun finding them in the dark. Nice observing site, car park and fairly dark.

Luton These are in association with the Observatory at Putteridge Bury. Never been and oddly I hear little about them.

Cambridge Meet at the IoA on Maddingly Rd. Good talks, no observing.

Hi Ronin,

Thanks for the info which is very much appreciated. I guess this would be the most sensible option and I will at some point join up with both Bedford and the LDAS. I think right now they may be on a summer break for observing but I will look again. I did join the LDAS when I first started but soon after there was a leadership take over with a lot of politics going on so it put me off a tad. That said I'm sure things are now running smooth again so I'll take another look.

Thanks again

Karl

Archived