NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Will it work?

Merlin

Consider this fellow Sol-worshippers. If I substituted a KG3/5 filter for the ND 3 in my APM Herschel prism and added a variable polariser, would it be save to use in this mode with regard to IR and UV?

The KG filters have a green tinge, which is better for contrast than a ND 3. I could also add the BAADER Solar Continuum filter to the optical train.

You might not be aware that the KG filters are heat rejection filters. They can substitute for wornout mini-ERFs in PSTs and ERFs in other solar 'scopes.

What concerns me most here is whether the ordinary KGs ( without special coatings ) block the UV.

The best views I had of sunspots and granulation were through a modest 60mm/f.11 PRINZ refractor.

I fixed two 58mm diameter Cokin polaroid filters over the objective, ensuring that one filter could be rotated in relation to the other. At the focuser end, I had a small Herschel prism with a mid-green filter fitted at the bottom of the eyepiece tube.

What I didn't know at the time was that polaroid doesn't block the IR. When I discovered this, I added a ND filter, but the clarity wasn't as good as with the previous arrangement.

Archived