NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

23 June 2013: two more short solar sessions

Late in the afternoon and just now I had two more brief sightings of the sun. Apart from the "row of trees" prom on the southern half of the western limb, a large, fountain-like prom shows further northwards. Further north still, another, fairly thin prom showed, later it almost looked like it was detaching. On the eastern limb, a fairly large prom showed this evening. It seemed to emanate from the far side, so maybe it heralds a new AR. The evening session showed a large filament developing east of the centre. The surface seemed alive with ARs. A few large sunspots could clearly be seen in H-alpha, with the largest south and east of the centre of the disc. Light and dark curved filaments showed on either side. Quite a busy looking surface. I would have loved to have a look in white light, but the gaps between the clouds were too short.

Still, I am happy to have seen the sun a couple of times today

Lots of cloud, very strong gusty winds here, I think one of the local puddy cats got blown off the edge of the garage room earlier judging by the noise it made at the time, caught out by a sudden strong gust.

Archived