NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Theoretical best Resolution on Focal Plane

romi

Can anyone comment on the following:

In principle, the Resolution of a telescope is inverse- proportional to the Focal length and is given by (approximately): Phi = 116 / F (Phi in [arcsec] and F [mm]).

Now, the size (1D) of an arc on the Focal Plane (or CCD plane) is given by (approximately): d = Phi F / 206 (d in [microns])

It therefore follows that the theoretical size of the best resolution of a telescope (ANY TELESCOPE) is app. 0.5 microns, independent of scope features (assuming no additional

optics of course, such as eyepieces and barlow lenses etc.). "seeing" is also ignored here....

The spatial resolution of a telescope is proportional to lambda*f/D, where lambda is the wavelength of light, f is the focal length of the telescope and D the objective/mirror diameter. So I think your first statement is wrong.

NigelM

And then there's there's the seeing...

And then there's the reality... (A 6 inch SCT will not, in my view, resolve at he the level of this 5.5 inch apo; http://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Other/Best-of-Les-Granges/22435624_WLMPTM#!i=1793652809&k=39n8qx9&lb=1&s=O I'll be glad to be proved wrong. (Well, not glad but I'll take it like a gentleman! :grin: )

Olly

I agree with Nigel. The theoretical resolution is also dependent upon (proportional to, according to Rayleigh) wavelength. Across the visible spectrum that would probably mean a doubling (or thereabouts) of the theoretical resolution as you moved from red to blue.

James

Archived