NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What to Do Next On Celestron SLT Problems?

I believe that all the input data is correct. This is the 2nd scope, because of problems with the others.I've spent time going over about every scenario with the Tec. on this scope.

The time can either be military or local.Local Daylight Saveing time is used. Entered as HH+min+ss.

Date: mm/dd/yy

Long. 82* 58' 38" W

Lat. +38 47' 18" N

From your reply It sounds as if "they' are graphing for straws.

As mentioned earlier I've had two of the same error messages show up on the hand controler. This error number controls the alt. motor, I was told. Although the motor was moving in azt. But was then told it didn't effect tracking?

Mixed signals, maybe.

I agree the sun should stay in the eyepiece and stick with my instruction manuel.

Or the Tec. wouldn't be suggesting other solutions or remedies.

Maybe you have other suggestions what I should do next? Thanks, Pat

Well they look fine to me :)

It does sound that they are grasping for straws but I don't understand why they are saying that the alt motor having a problem would affect tracking. An alt-az scope needs to have both motors working correctly in order to track correctly. Only an EQ mount needs a single motor to track.

I've had a look at the celestron faq (http://www.celestron.com/c3/support3/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=2434) for the error message you get. This may sound silly, but have you tried running the mount on 8xAA Duracell batteries and seeing if you get the same problem with the no response error/tracking? Have the techs asked this?

Damien

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry I admit to not reading previous posts so please ignore me if this has already been covered. I was under the impression that AZ mounts do track but minor adjustments are required from time to time simply because it is tracking in a stepped arch across the sky as apposed to a smooth arch achieved on a correctly polar aligned equatorial mount. I think there is an option in the sub menus in the handset that offer a choice sidereal speeds but again it is AZ and not EQ.

Sorry I admit to not reading previous posts so please ignore me if this has already been covered. I was under the impression that AZ mounts do track but minor adjustments are required from time to time simply because it is tracking in a stepped arch across the sky as apposed to a smooth arch achieved on a correctly polar aligned equatorial mount. I think there is an option in the sub menus in the handset that offer a choice sidereal speeds but again it is AZ and not EQ.

The tracking speeds are being set correctly by Pat. The AZ tracking does work that way and while not being good enough for DSO imaging, it doesn't have an appreciable effect on planetary webcamming or, as in this case, visual observing.

Pat kick the tech guy into touch.

I have never had to adjust my tracking after 25 minutes, they are fairly accurate,

Have you got to much weight / load for the motor ?

is the scope balanced correctly ?

Did you try as a i suggested and set via the " GoTO RA / DEC" option after performing an initial alignment ?

Hi again. Thanks for the link to "No Responce" error #16 and #17.

I should be getting #16 for asimuth instead of #17 for alitude. I was told Q.A. checked out this scope before being sent.

Connections and cables are solid. Car battery consistantly puts out 12.5V.

When I disconnect the cable and the batteries take over, I get the same results. then reconnect the cable again, the same results. They sent another cable-no change in performance.

I will try the 8xAA batteries. Good idea.

I will try to talk to a senior Tec. or manager to see what can be done.

Thanks Pat

Pat kick the tech guy into touch.

I have never had to adjust my tracking after 25 minutes, they are fairly accurate,

Have you got to much weight / load for the motor ?

is the scope balanced correctly ?

Did you try as a i suggested and set via the " GoTO RA / DEC" option after performing an initial alignment ?

Weight of the 102 refractor should be ok, it's lighter than the 127 Mak that I use on it.

Not sure the GoTo RA/Dec option is going to help if the problem is a tracking one but anything is worth a try!

Hi again. Thanks for the link to "No Responce" error #16 and #17.

I should be getting #16 for asimuth instead of #17 for alitude. I was told Q.A. checked out this scope before being sent.

Connections and cables are solid. Car battery consistantly puts out 12.5V.

When I disconnect the cable and the batteries take over, I get the same results. then reconnect the cable again, the same results. They sent another cable-no change in performance.

I will try the 8xAA batteries. Good idea.

I will try to talk to a senior Tec. or manager to see what can be done.

Thanks Pat

Some of the information on that page doesn't apply to our SLT mounts as they only draw around 0.75ah so no need of the 2.5 ah adapter they recommend! Really sucks that you're having so much trouble with what, in my experience, has been a pretty reliable mount.

Damien

Sorry Pig for over looking your questions. As far as I can tell the scope is balanced. The Tec. wanted to know the size and weight of my eyepieces. 1.25" and the heaviest 9oz. So I put a 13oz. weight at the end of scope.

As for the "GO TO RA/DEC" option. I thought this was only for EQ mounts. So I'm not familiar with this proceedure. I will have to check my manuel. Thanks, Pat

I don't think 9oz will make any difference, take any weights off and just balance the scope. :smiley:

Try your alignment and other suggestions.

if it don't work send it back.

Archived