Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

June 17, 2013: Massive proms and some detached stuff

In the tea and lunch breaks of the course "Mastering Your PhD" for which I acted as tutor for the first time, I set up the solar scope on the balcony of our building. Especially during early morning tea (or coffee, as some Philistines insist on calling it ;) ), the sun put on a huge display. To the west was a large arcing prom, with several huge loops of plasma arcing across the surface. The very large near linear prom to the south was still going strong, with a little brother still by its side. Further east were two detached proms, one fairly small to the south, and one very big on further north. During lunch the latter seems to have faded considerably, although a the growing haze in the sky may have contributed. At roughly the same point on the limb a small, near linear prom could be seen. On the surface, several active regions showed up as dark spots surrounded by bright regions.

Again, the 24mm picked out the detached proms best, whereas the surface detail much better in the 10mm XW, with the finer detail in the bright proms being a touch better. I could just make out the detached prom in the 10mm (it was harder in the 12mm Nagler).

The attending PhD students were very impressed.

Archived