Getting Started

Hey folks, I'd like to get started with some photography, but dont have the cash to go out and buy everything i need right off the start, so for now I guess I need a mount and scope thats going to be good for imaging dso's but that I can also use for observing until i have everything i need for imaging (if that exists).

I've had an Orion EQ3 reflector for a few years now but I don't get to see a whole lot with it due to my light polluted skies, however this fall I'll be moving into my new house further out of the city with a nice big cleared backyard and hopefully dark skies.

I'm sure its a pretty broad question, but which mount/scope would you guys recommend for someone starting out?

Most would say if money is tight then this is the minimum you will need http://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-heq5-syntrek.html the next step up & worth saving for is this http://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-eq6-syntrek.html after these your into the 1000's of £££ The mount IS the most important piece of kit for AP, I'd recommend you get this b4 u do or buy ANYTHING http://www.firstlightoptics.com/books/making-every-photon-count-steve-richards.html it'll save u money in the long run. As for a scope, i'd go for a light frac such as the Skywatcher ED80. Oh, make friends with your bank manager as you'll need him on your side. :grin:

Steve

For the Mount i suggest an iOptron ZEQ25GT CEM for the scope an Astro-Tech AT65EDQ the mount is the most important piece of the puzzle do not take shortcuts there best of luck in your quest of the stars!

If you are starting out in AP, then before you make any purchases at all, go to the book section of the FLO site and buy a copy of 'Making Every Photon Count' - This is absolutely the bible of imaging, it will help you to understand whatyou need and why and will save you money from buying the wrong stuff.

The general minimim recommendation for imaging is an HEQ5 and on that you can out a smallish 80ED refractor. The focal length of the scope being fairly short will place minimim stress on the mount and you will be able to track for longer. Have a shifty in the imaging section and get a feel for what you can achieve with various combo's. I'm sure that I saw athread a couple of days ago about someone mentioning something mad like 5-10 minute subs on an EQ3. That will be worth finding and seeing how that was achieved if money is really tight.

There are very few short cuts in AP and very few ways of doing it on the cheap.

Second hand gear can be a way into imaging on a cheaper budget. I saw a HEQ5 go on an auction site for £440 this afternoon - a significant saving on new.

Depends on your actual budget really, but agree with others, your 1st £20 needs to go on the book.

Archived