Video Astronomy

Spacedout

Hi Karl

I've just had a quick look at your gallery on my iPhone - looks like you're doing pretty well with the MXC and your setup.

I bet the actual views on your TV are even better as I've had little success trying to photograph the TV.

A capture dongle such as the Easycap DC60 will allow you to grab the video with your computer and either pick out individual frames or better still stack a whole bunch if that's what you fancy going.

To be honest I often view on the PC but so not bother to capture, but it gives you something to play with when it's cloudy!

Viewing the heavens from the comfort and warmth of the house is great and I can "see" things that would be impossible with the MK1 eyeball due to local light pollution.

Clear skies

Paul

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Karl

I've just had a quick look at your gallery on my iPhone - looks like you're doing pretty well with the MXC and your setup.

I bet the actual views on your TV are even better as I've had little success trying to photograph the TV.

A capture dongle such as the Easycap DC60 will allow you to grab the video with your computer and either pick out individual frames or better still stack a whole bunch if that's what you fancy going.

To be honest I often view on the PC but so not bother to capture, but it gives you something to play with when it's cloudy!

Viewing the heavens from the comfort and warmth of the house is great and I can "see" things that would be impossible with the MK1 eyeball due to local light pollution.

Clear skies

Paul

Hi Paul,

Thank you I am looking at the minute for a capture device and have been looking at the Dazzle DVC 100. I am enjoying the views on the TV right now but later on I would like to learn how to improve the images with stacking etc. You are right about the photos of the TV as they don't really show what I'm seeing but it gives you an idea. It is quite a buzz to watch these things suddenly appear after a few seconds integration and then playing with the settings to get more detail. As for the comfort, well it just can not be beaten!! It beats the stiff neck and being frozen but best of all you are using both eyes with a pretty big eyepiece :)

I was hoping to get out tonight and have set up but the clouds as usual are messing with my head!!!

Best regards

Karl

Hi Hubble Bubble and welcome to SGL. Thanks for pointing me to a more obscure aspect of this fascinating activity!

Hi Avocette,

Thanks for the welcome and I'm pleased if I've introduced you to something new for you. All aspects of Astronomy interest me but Video is my thing for now and apart from the seriously frustrating British weather... I'm loving it!!

Best regards

Karl

• 1 month later...

Archived