ISS up close!

majapala

Before I start, sorry, no pictures! Today I cleared my neighbour's overhanging branch (long story, for another time), anyway, Vega and the surrounding area is now observable from my garden site. I'm only in and out, the gnats are a real problem at the moment. Out I popped for a quick look at the ring nebula, very nice too, I look up and there flies the ISS. Quick as you like, I grab her in my Telrad, and see her for the first time in my scope, only briefly, but clearly and close enough to touch. Absolutely made my evening! I think I'll dodge the gnats again and chance it again at 1.30ish when she's due again! I just had to tell someone!

I caught it as well in the ST80, I was just aligning the scope on Saturn when I seen it popping up so I let the clutches go and managed to get it in the finderscope, I planted my eye on the 12 mm BST and tracked it across the whole sky, not too much detail with the combination of the scope and eyepiece but you could see shape to it, i'm chuffed regardless, first time i've got it in the eyepiece. I only went out to give the 3 new eyepieces a whirl in the little scope anyway so getting the iss on it was a bonus!

I caught it in a 10" dob last night. The shape was definitely visible, but it was very bright, I may try a moon filter on it tonight if the clouds disappear. There have been some fantastic passes in the last few days, and it is a thrill every time it comes over.

Yeah me too, its a bit too light now but popped out for an hour around 11 last night quick look at saturn, try to get the veil neb.

Just standing looking up for a while as I often do when out and caught the iss whizzing by packed up my kit and went to bed, made my evening to be honest.

Archived