Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

problem or not

i collimated my scope yesterday and while i was doing it i loosened the secondary a bit to much and it rotated abit i put it back to where i thought it should be

now tonight i am getting a better view of saturn(can see the shadow of the band on the planet and colour) but keeps going less detailed(blurry)

is this something i broke or am i just noticing the atmospheric conditions more with better collimation ?

It's the seeing conditions. They can vary all the time. You get a few seconds of clarity then it's a bit blurry, then a glimpse of clarity again. Thats why you need to spend time observing an object - so you catch the good moments.

Occasionally we get a night when the seeing is consistently good and the variation in clarity is much less or even absent. Nights like that are rare though and we treasure them when they come along :smiley:

Seeing varies from second to second. Best to let the planet drift through the FOV and try and pick out the details, then nudge so the planet goes to the right hand side of the FOV and wait again. Usually, a 1mm exit pupil is a good start, although I often end up using a 1.6mm exit pupil (8mm) for Saturn, and think I could (and should) get away with a 1.8mm exit pupil (9mm)

I agree with the rest. The views can change within the same view as the planet moves from right to left. It can be blurry when it's In the right side of your eyepiece and clear on the left side.

Archived