Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ISS spotter app help

claire1985

This is probably a dumb question but I've just downloaded the ISS spotter app, I've attached a screen shot of the forecast screen, is this the passes that will be visible to me? Seems a lot, didn't realise how often the ISS passes over us,

post-17736-13705134636_thumb.jpg

Hi Claire...

yep! Same on my Android app, it certainly does wizz around us.

Something to do with angle of trajectory / momentum /gravity... Geo stationary orbit :D

(I made all that up but it did sound convincing)

It takes around 95 minutes for the ISS to orbit the planet! That's how fast it goes! Amazing! The only passes we can't really see are those during daylight hours. If you haven't seen it already, you'll be amazed at how bright it is and how fast it is. I don't have the app, but use heavens-above.com where it tells me the direction it will be travelling (so I know where to look and the magnitude,

I've been watching the passes for a few days now and still amazed by what I see!

It doesn't pass over our little patch of land all the time, I think it will keep going over until is the 19th June. Not sure when it will be back! Good luck seeing it!

It orbits about every hour and a half, so we get a batch that we can see as it is above the horizon, then a gap when it is below the horizon. Looks like we are in the middle of a bunch of being able to see it every orbit that it does.

Your app looks as if it lists the "night" ones only however it may be bright enough to pick it out during the day if you know where to look and the time.

Could also cross check with something like heavens-above. Using something like Lat = 52.5 and Long = -2.0 should be good enough.

Hi Claire...

yep! Same on my Android app, it certainly does wizz around us.

Something to do with angle of trajectory / momentum /gravity... Geo stationary orbit :D

(I made all that up but it did sound convincing)

Haha!! Yes for a minute there you totally had me x

Archived