NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Gamepad

jaygpoo

Hi you knowledgable ones out there. I have a neq6 pro and a laptop running windows xp . This laptop has only 2 usb ports. I have been getting my head round eqmod and CDC software but are finding it very difficult to look in the E/P and centre stars while trying to move a mouse over the ra dec buttons. Linking up a gamepad to control all these fuctions is the answer BUT I HAVE NO IDEA how to as I am not a game player. Do you connect it using usb or wireless. If wireless HOW do you then need a usb wireless unit . Can you use a we box controller as I have 4 of those in the house an they must be wireless. Solutions to this would be much appriciated.

Hi you knowledgable ones out there. I have a neq6 pro and a laptop running windows xp . This laptop has only 2 usb ports. I have been getting my head round eqmod and CDC software but are finding it very difficult to look in the E/P and centre stars while trying to move a mouse over the ra dec buttons. Linking up a gamepad to control all these fuctions is the answer BUT I HAVE NO IDEA how to as I am not a game player. Do you connect it using usb or wireless. If wireless HOW do you then need a usb wireless unit . Can you use a we box controller as I have 4 of those in the house an they must be wireless. Solutions to this would be much appriciated.

You can use an xbox 360 wired or wireless controller, the wireless one needs a usb wireless dongle to work. Look for Xbox wireless PC controller in google and you'll see some examples.

While I don't know anything about remote control of telescopes, you'd need an adapter for a Wii controller, such as this would do perhaps

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wii-Classic-Controller-Adapter-USB/dp/B00596QKY0

but best to double check, I do not own a Wii. The Xbox 360 controller works great on PC though and not expensive and can be had for £20 - 25.

Other than that as long as the device is DirectX compatible it with will be picked up by windows, joystick wireless or wired. If it is not DirectX compatible you'll need some sort of adapter that plugs into a USB port to make it so. If you want to buy something just look out for that. If on the box it has the little windows logo and/or states DirectX compatibility you know you are good to go usually I terms of windows recognising it.

I can't comment on any of the software applications you may use, but if coded in the standard way, almost always Direct Input is used anyway, so it should work.

Archived