Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Economical short tube refractor? Skywatcher, others?

Hi

I m looking for advice on a grab n go refractor to complement my Nexstar 8SE. I did use binoculars but have a major issue in one eye (basically it doesnt work) and so binoculars are actually now an impediment as I have to close one eye to get an image.... :D

As an alternative I ve been looking at compact refractors in the 80-100mm range. Ideally I d like to come in under a budget of £200 so I ve been looking at the Skywatcher 102 and 80. I have lots of accessories and a 2" diagonal already from the Nexstar so essentially I d just be looking for recommendations on the best refractor, and mount ideally, in this price range :(.

Does anyone have any comments on the Skywatchers?

Cheers

CP

Hello CP-Brooker,

I had the Skywatcher "Startravel" 80T. It was a great little scope for the observing the Moon, and a very wide field of view to look at starfields. It could also be used for simple astrophotography (afocal), but it didn't give very good views of the planets. (they were a little bit fuzzy) I think due to the scopes short focal length. I also used it for taking wildlife photos. It did display a bit of colour fringing around the edges of objects. I have since sold it (which I regret as it did give good wide field views of the stars) and bought a 90mm Skywatcher Maksutov, which gives really crisp views of the Moon, Planets and stars - but it has a very narrow field of view, so you cannot get say the whole of the "Pleidies" star group into the field of view. It all depends on what you want from your scope. I've heard the Skywatcher Startravel 102 is good.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

philsail1

Welcome CP

Have a look at this http://stargazerslounge.com/index.php/topic,18724.0.html

No mount, but with an upgraded focusser this is a cracking little scope.

I have one of these and this is my most used scope and as a grab and go on something like an EQ3-2 it's great to just jump outside for a couple of hours. They'll be negatives from the purists like blue fringes on bright objects ect, but for grab and go it's about viewing what's out there not a perfect setup.

Can't really comment on the "best" in your price range but it's a solid performer.

Tony

Beaten to draw again! I was going to make the same suggestion as Tony.

I have the ST102 (well my son has it at present) and the ST120 should give you excellent service especially with an upgraded focuser. Looks like a snip at £150.

Cheers

CW

Archived