NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Bit of advice with SW Synguider :)

Hi all, I'm looking for a bit of advice on using the SW Synguider on my scope setup.

When I was last out (which seems like ages ago!) I was really struggling to get it to lock to anything other dimmer than Arcturus. I hooked it up to the dedicated guide scope which comes with the WO GTf81 but the problem is with an eyepiece in, nothing is in focus through the guide scope (I don't have a 1.25 inch diagonal or extender, only a 2 inch one for the scope) so can't see if there are any stars in the FOV.

Trialling it against Arcturus with the Synguider directly attached to the guide scope seemed to pick up the star easily but trying to guide for M13 I struggled to get it to pick up anything, even loosening the guide scope in the rings and moving it around significantly.

Is this a problem with guiding or the dedicated guide scope? Will I have more success by just getting an extender and checking it out with an eyepiece first?

Any advice welcome!

Thanks

Will

Well lots of views but no replies, I don't think it's a common setup so not surprised :( tried again this evening with the Synguider and it failed yet again. Ultimately that means in 10 attempts its only succeeded once. I'm very very disappointed with it although I don't think the dedicated guide scope on the GTF81 works with it that well tbh

Would like to be able to help you out but I have also just taken ownership of my synguider and not yet had the opportunity to try it out yet. I was thinking it may be too bright at night right now, it barely gets dark here up north . I will watch this thread with interest though. Good luck and I hope someone can help you out!

Whats the spec of the dedicated guide scope fot the GTF81? Can you post a pic or a link?

I had limited success using the synguider on a finderguider made from a Celestron 8x50 finder, but had it working well whe I used it on a ST80 as a guidescope.

On the finderguider it would only lock and guide on bright stars...

Peter...

Sent from my GT-P7300 using Tapatalk HD

If you compare the recommended guidescope spec in the Synguider manual and that of the ST80 you will see how well they match...

I think some people are managing to use the Synguider on scopes outside the spec but I settled for the easy life with it...

Whats the spec of the dedicated guide scope fot the GTF81? Can you post a pic or a link?

I had limited success using the synguider on a finderguider made from a Celestron 8x50 finder, but had it working well whe I used it on a ST80 as a guidescope.

On the finderguider it would only lock and guide on bright stars...

Peter...

Sent from my GT-P7300 using Tapatalk HD

thanks guys. My scope is this one: http://www.williamoptics.com/telescopes/gtf81_features.php

the only real detail I can find on the guide scope is here: http://www.williamoptics.com/wo_shop/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=605

i suspect it to be a combination or poor guide scope and the Synguider only picking up bright stars (typically none of which are close to M13, 51 etc and the other summer targets) so an advice welcome.

Steve, I'll definitely try that link next time I'm out.

On a positive note, the custom made Bahtinov mask made for me by FLO is outstanding :)

Try this guide to set-up . . . http://www.astronomy...php?f=34&t=3949

Thanks Steve, just had a read of that and I reckon the thing I may need is a focuses for the stock guide scope. Out of the box it doesn't have one so there's simply no way I can ever get to focus (also putting in a relatively wide eyepiece doesn't achieve focus so it clearly needs a diagonal or extension). Might pick up a cheap 1.25 diagonal too (mine are all 2 inch) and try that as well. I'm guessing if I can get focus via the eyepiece (parfocally perhaps) I may get it through the Synguider.

Archived