Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New bins - Opticron Imagic 10x50s

So, having agonised for a while about my first pair of serious binoculars, I took the plunge and bought a pair of Opticron Imagic 10x50s. They're a bit more expensive than I was originally going to go for, but I looked down the back of the sofa and came up with a few extra quid. This was my first purchase from FLO, and their service was every bit as good as anticipated. The only problem is that something else arrived at the same time - clouds. Lots of them :sad: .

The other problem I can envisage is that, having looked in my copy of Turn Left at Orion, most of the good binocular objects they list for this time of year are in the west. From my garden, the west is a no-no - loads of light pollution and buildings in the way. South and east are much better, with views over open country. Any suggestions for good targets in those directions anybody?

Alan

Yes those binos are excellent. I bought some just over a year back after agonising over the price. Well worth the money.

The nice thing about binos is that you easily try them away from home. So don't worry too much about the west LP.

Having said that, at this time of year the sky, particularly in the west, is not that dark.

. South and east are much better, with views over open country. Any suggestions for good targets in those directions anybody?
Wait until dark, and Ophiuchus is in the South. Lots of good stuff there. Also see the Object Search function on my web site to filter searches for binocular objects (Click on banner in sig)

Steve,

In fact, I've just been over to your web site and done just that! If the sky was clear, I'd be seriously considering getting up at 2 in the morning to have a look for Andromeda. Another day (or night) maybe... It looks like there will be quite a few things high up which I can look for late on, I just have to wait for clear skies.

Thank you for your efforts on BinocularSky. It was invaluable in helping me choose what to buy, and now I'm going to use it to help me observing!

Alan

East and South are coming into their best, surely? Cygnus rising in the NE, the southern Milky Way objects appearing. Who needs the west?? We are coming into my favourite binocular season.

Olly

Yep, summer is great for lying in a reclining chair sweeping the skies with bins. Winter and autumn are not bad for binocular objects either, but most of spring belongs to the big scope in my book (galaxy-time)

Archived