Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I'm clampped between the dovetails and clamps....

emadmoussa

OK, here's the deal...

I'm going to bore you to tears again.

I'm trying to increase the stability of the C11 on NEQ6.

What I have so far is the following:

1- Farpoint C11 dovetail which I will place on the top of the telescope.

2- 120mm guider rings that I will occasionally use for guiding or finder scope. They have one screw hole to attach onto the dovetail or clamp.

Things I have in mind:

1- Two D dovetail adapters to clamp onto the Farpoint dovetail. These will hold the guider rings and might attach a carry handle to them. I'm sure they'll have many other uses. or these clamps from 365Astronomy - I tried to call Zoltan, but in vain.

2- THIS IS THE ONE I'M NOT SURE ABOUT. I noticed a lot of forum members (Zakalwe, thanks for the tip) use an alternative saddling plate for their C925 or C11. I understand that according to a lot of people they're a better alternative to the native NEQ6 saddle plate. OK, Do you actually need to remove the native saddle plate or there's a way to attach this one to it? Supposing you removed the native plate, will this one still accommodate all my scopes same as the native one? And most importantly, is it really worth it considering the price and functionality?

Any ideas are more than welcome!

Sorry for being such a pain, just needed some answers.

Thanks!

Do you plan on using the top dovetail as a handle? If you do, I think the narrower Vixen type dovetail will be easier to hold.

I'm thinking more of a versatile use, a handle is one. But for the handle I'll be using a couple of clamps.

Go for it. It is worth the price and will increase the stability of your C-11 on the mount.

The one you link to does require that you remove the original saddle plate (puck) from your mount - it takes a few minutes to do.... BUT it will grip the C-11 like a vice without marking the dovetail on the scope.

It will accommodate your scopes BETTER than the existing one!

Go for it. It is worth the price and will increase the stability of your C-11 on the mount.

The one you link to does require that you remove the original saddle plate (puck) from your mount - it takes a few minutes to do.... BUT it will grip the C-11 like a vice without marking the dovetail on the scope.

It will accommodate your scopes BETTER than the existing one!

I think I will :)

Is there a similar item where I can just clamp on the native EQ6 saddle?

but where would be the benefit? You would still have 2 hand-screws only making contact with some sort of dovetail bar.... This way you get a clamp along the entire length of your scopes dovetail!

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I don't own a EQ6, but am I right to think the ADM and other EQ6 saddle upgrades were mainly intended for upgrading the saddle in older EQ6's which used two locking bolts, rather than the newer EQ6 which uses a compression plate.

When I checked out the AZ-EQ6 at IAS, I thought its saddle was quite good. Probably not as good as ADM's, but the difference is probably not enough to justify spending on the upgrade.

I don't own a EQ6, but am I right to think the ADM and other EQ6 saddle upgrades were mainly intended for upgrading the saddle in older EQ6's which used two locking bolts, rather than the newer EQ6 which uses a compression plate.

When I checked out the AZ-EQ6 at IAS, I thought its saddle was quite good. Probably not as good as ADM's, but the difference is probably not enough to justify spending on the upgrade.

Thanks Keith!! This is exactly what I'm confused about...I hope somebody has an answer :)

Emadmoussa, aren't you considering buying a focuser for your SCT as well. Personally, I would leave the dovetail clamp to a later date and spend your money on a good focuser.

I think Baader Steel track + Standard SW saddle will be better than GSO Crayford with ADM saddle.

Emadmoussa, aren't you considering buying a focuser for your SCT as well. Personally, I would leave the dovetail clamp to a later date and spend your money on a good focuser.

I think Baader Steel track + Standard SW saddle will be better than GSO Crayford with ADM saddle.

I ordered a Revelation Superfocus SCT focuser yesterday. I had a long discussion with the people at Harrison Telescopes. Apparently it's the new dancing product that guarantees a rock solid stability up to 3Kg.

Archived