NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Next step up from a SkyTee-II?

Following on from

i'm thinking that a SkyTee-II isn't going to quite be up to the job I need. What's the next step up? I've found the StellerVue M150

http://www.stellarvue.com/m7.html

and the DM6

http://www.discmounts.com/

but they're fearsomely expensive, especially once you factor in a tripod too. Is there anything in the middle ground? Giro-III doesn't seem to have much more capacity than the SkyTee-2. A bonus would be something that fits an EQ6 tripod, as I have one sitting in the shed doing nothing :)

Tele Optic Giro Ercole. Capacity is up to 18kg on each side and it is exactly what you would expect from German engineering. I use one and it has performed very well. Certainly a step up from the Giro III (I have an older Giro 2 which is basically the same). APM are currently working on digital setting circles for it as well and expect to launch later this year so will match the computer aided functionality of the Discmounts for example.

http://www.tele-optic.co.uk/tele-optic-ercole.html

£379.

Tele Optic Giro Ercole. Capacity is up to 18kg on each side and it is exactly what you would expect from German engineering. I use one and it has performed very well. Certainly a step up from the Giro III (I have an older Giro 2 which is basically the same).

£379.

That looks very promising, thanks. Any idea if it can take a Losmandy saddle, I can't tell from the pictures.

That looks very promising, thanks. Any idea if it can take a Losmandy saddle, I can't tell from the pictures.

The standard clamp is for Vixen dovetails, but I am 95% sure it can (sure someone used one with a Losmandy saddle at my last astro club meeting), but if you give Rupert at Astrograph (the UK distributor for APM and Tele Optic) he will be able to confirm.

I wish the Bray Tablet mounts were still available. They could handle a C14 OTA apparently. One came up recently on UK AB&S for around £300. Bit of a bargain I reckon.

The standard clamp is for Vixen dovetails, but I am 95% sure it can (sure someone used one with a Losmandy saddle at my last astro club meeting), but if you give Rupert at Astrograph (the UK distributor for APM and Tele Optic) he will be able to confirm.

Thanks Matthew, I dropped an email to Rupert and he was very helpful, sounds a very promising option. Will fit my EQ6 tripod too, which is a definite bonus

I've just started using my Giro II on an EQ6 tripod. It fits on perfectly and is a dramatic improvement over my previous tripod in terms of stability. It is now rock solid even at very high mags.

The Ercole does look nice :-).

Stu

Hope so, because i've just ordered one :)

Just arrived, and looks very nice! Motion seems very smooth, and it's solidly built. A thumbs-up to Rupert too for a very helpful exchange of emails.

I can't try it out under the stars, unfortunately, as the budget didn't stretch to counterweights and saddle just yet - will pick those up when i'm paid next month. Little bit frustrating, but I picked up a 'B' grade one marked down due to the most tiny of anodising flaws and didn't want to risk them going out of stock while I saved for the other odds and ends.

Archived