NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Astro-Physics 175mm f/8 Starfire EDF Triplet Apo

In September last year, Astro-Physics Inc ran a lottery for eleven 180mm Starfire EDF triplet apochromatic refractors. For those of us who live in the refractor universe, that model would be among the most desirable at any price point (they were bring offered around $20,000) available and Roland Christen stated he did not expect to ever produce a refractor that large again. Unfortunately I was not one of the lucky 11 (over 450 entries, and every single winner paid the $10k deposit when they were given the good news). The company however still lists the 175mm f/8 Starfire EDF triplet, though if you want one, the wait list is of the order of 10 years.

Ed Ting who many of you may have come across is a preeminent telescope reviewer who has written for numerous publications including Sky & Telescope, also runs his own telescope review site called scope reviews has just published a first light report of one of the 175mm Apos, with the intention of adding more observing reports.

Enjoy, and try not to drool too much (if you are a refractor nut).

http://www.scopereviews.com/page1ag.html

Great scope and a great report from Ed. I've really enjoyed his reports over the years :smiley:

I liked this line from it:

"When you look through a good apo, your world suddenly gets very quiet. Your breathing gets deep, and you don't seem to be in any hurry to do anything else...." :grin:

• 5 months later...

Archived