Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Will EQ5 or HEQ5 Tripod fit Vixen GPE Mount

Cairngorm

Looking for a tripod for my Vixen GPE Mount, its the metallic green version, currently on a pillar. HAL Tripod is £175 +PP!!! . Anyone know if any of the EQ Skywatcher tripods will fit. Can they be bought anywhere in UK. Or the Vixen wooden tripod ?Posted on astrobuynsell for 2nd hand,no luck.

Yes, all the green GP mounts can use EQ5 tripods, but the some newer white GP2 cannot without an adapter.

Mind you, the Vixen is more expensive for a good reason. The HAL-130 is much more stable than the EQ5 tubular steel tripod. Vixen used thick aluminium in the HAL130, while SW used thin steel tubes. Despite being aluminium, I feel the HAL130 is heavier as well. Having said all the pros about the HAL130, the GP version is no longer being produced. Older GP mount have GP60 connections and will need an adapter to use the current GP45 HAL130.

I posted this in the other thread you started on the same subject:

I noticed one of these on the 365Astronomy stand at the IAS on the weekend - should be fine with the GP mount http://www.365astron...pod-p-3109.html

That is basically a Vixen AL130 tripod as used on the Porta II mount but with a 60mm socket on the top which is the diameter of the base of the older GP series mounts.

Cheers, Pete

OP, What are you planning to put on your GPE mount?

The Fornax may not be a bad idea if you have a very light load (e.g. a ED80 for visual), but you might want something more substantial if are carrying a relatively heavy scope (e.g. a fully loaded C8).

Thanks for Info.

I will be using a 6" Mak or 100mm refractor for planetry and lunar observing only.

My GPE has a polarscope, is fitted with motors and tracks very accurately when I polar allign.

Archived