Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Maximum load for an eq1/2

Astro_noob

I am looking to purchase a new scope for visual use that can be used in the future to do some basic imaging. I have a entry level 114mm / 900mm mounted on a eq1/2. I was looking for a refractor something like a evostar 120. Is an eq1 too light for this scope? Will adding some stability to the mount by fixing weights to the tray help and making sure the legs ae extended as little as possible?

Both EQ1and EQ2 are way to light for an Evostar 120. The OTA is much heavier than a 114mm Newtonian. Even an 80mm ED would wobble all over the place. Basic imaging on an EQ1/2 consists of putting a DSLR with fairly short telephoto on it, and adding an RA motor. For imaging, think mount first

I cannot recall ever seeing a loading stated for the EQ/2, I would expect it to be quite low.

If you are thinking about the Evostar 120 is that the achro version, I think for some reason there is both achro and ED variants under that name. Either will be a decent weight and the achro version is fairly long, so not suitable from both aspects.

You do not say what camera you are intending to use, a DSLR is again a fair lump of weight to be added.

Concerning shake, it is the scope that shakes and this is most likely the mount head that is allowing it, the head is not the most solid of mechaniams, you will reduce some by adding weight to the tripod but most is from the head that is on the mount,

Finally you need to track, have you the RA motor for the mount?

Really the answer is get an EQ3-2 at least,

I am doubtful about the Evostar 120, it is a fair weight and long if an achro.

The problem of a short achro is the CA that will be present.

A "minimum" reasonable system is something like an EQ5, motors, 70mm(ish) ED scope.

That would be fairly stable, the scope short enough with minimal CA.

You could probably manage something with one of either the mount or scope not quite right.

A short ED on an EQ3-2 would give something, a longer achro on an EQ5 would give something. In both instances you would need to tailer the exposures to the system. Most likely more but shorter exposures.

Don't know if you made it to the IAS at the weekend, but we talk here of the EQ6 being the one for AP as if there is nothing better. If you looked around the IAS you start to realise that the EQ6 is to some extent a reasonable starter mount. (Howls of outrage can be heard heading my way :eek: :eek: :eek: ) There were good AP mounts there that start £6000 upwards, easily at £10,000 and above that, and literally it is a case of a fork lift to get them into position.

Perhaps look upon it that if you can pick it up then it is a portable mount and too small. This may seem extreme but that is the realm of AP.

How about take a DSLR, decent short lens and a tripod, get to a dark site and point the camera at the milky way for 20 seconds and see what comes out. Then try the same for 30 seconds. Basically find out when the stars start to trail then back off. After that alter the ISO 400, 800, 1600, 3200 at the determined exposure time then see what comes out.

You coul stick the DSLR on the EQ1/2 and with a motor should get a 30 sec exposure with little trailing if set up.

Stick a location in your signature, someone may have an idea that is close to you. I have one thought but it depends on where you are, and where the retailer is.

Lol dropping 10k on a mount is not an option! I have £240 which the evostar fits nicely! My current mount is however unsuitable! So my next thoughts are purchase a mount ie eq5 and save for an ota or buy one of the supatrak deals within my budget! I'm basing all my options on first lights pricings!

Archived