Imaging Saturn

hansumman

Hi all.

I have an Orion StarShoot Colour Imager IV, and have successfully seen Jupiter with it. But I am having great difficulty getting any image of Saturn. I have tried with & without a 2x Barlow, but still can't seem to get Saturn aligned. I am using a Celestron CPC800.

Anyone have any pointers?

Thanks.

I have just moved this to planetary imaging. You have a better chance of getting answers there.

getting planets onto the small chip of a camera is always hard. I use a flip mirror, which allows me to centre the planet using an eyepiece, and simply flipping the mirror up redirects the image onto the chip.

Make sure that your finderscope is very accurately aligned to start with .

Then get the planet very accurately centred using an eyepiece , start with a fairly long EP , say 20mm , then pop in a shorter one , 5-9mm to get the object bang in the middle of the FOV.

Now put in the camera and turn the settings , Gain and Exposure , up high in your capture software , you will now need to adjust the focus in or out until the planet becomes visible.

Then you can adjust the capture settings until you get the view you need , dimmer rather than brighter is better but it's a little bit 'suck it and see' regarding settings.

Happy hunting .... :laugh:

Yes, once you get to longer focal lengths it's so easy to miss the camera sensor entirely with just a tiny misalignment of the scope. A cheap illuminated reticle eyepiece is very helpful in this situation.

James

Archived