Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My Funny looking stars, a solution found

Hi,

I posted that I was getting funny looking stars in my pre captures, I am a novice I have to add. I thought that the cwas very bad focus and even worst guiding even though the raw subs did not show any of the final result anyway I found oby trial and error that the cause was DSS Cosmetic routine. I pulled the sliders to their minimum AND IT SORTED THE PROBLEM OUT. I have attached the thumnails and they are from a 500% crop of the same star in two different processing. have gone a bit overboard with noise reduction in one but it showthe star well. Hope this helps people with the smae problems.

Regards,

A.G

post-28808-0-50007200-1368871935.jpg

post-28808-0-84491800-1368871936.jpg

That's interesting. I am always interested in how to make stars look nice. By "cometic routine" do you mean the processing tab routines, ie histogram, RGB, luminance, saturation etc?

thanks, Chris

That's interesting. I am always interested in how to make stars look nice. By "cometic routine" do you mean the processing tab routines, ie histogram, RGB, luminance, saturation etc?

thanks, Chris

Hi,

I think that it is something to do with hot or cold pixel removal in DSS, I am pretty sure that my focusing was not spot on and it didn't help but initially I even blamed the fringing of my cheap ED scope, it has bit which I have removed, for simple star shaping I use Noel Carboni's action set, for the little money that it cost me it does a lot. The other thing is if the subs are not 100% throw them out, I am just getting bnused to this idea.

Regards,

A.G

Archived