Absolute beginner - LP and limited view of the sky

Hi,

I have just joined, this is my first post so hello everyone.

Relatively recently the idea of astronomy and astrophotography has hit me as a fantastic new hobby, images on this site and others have certainly reinforced that view and I've spent the past couple of months trying to find out all I can about the hobby ('Making every photon count' as recommended by many on here, arrived a few days ago and I've been eagerly working through it figuring out whats involved)

I do have a couple of questions regarding the site where I intend to start out, which is my balcony. Its on the third floor in the center of my city on the corner of my apartment block, I have a relatively good view north, less so to the west and the south (the balcony is L shaped on the corner of my building) and of course my view upwards is blocked beyond 90 degrees by the walls of the building.

I appreciate that there is no substitute for going to a dark site but am I completely wasting my time trying to firstly learn about the night sky and then image objects from such a site. Regarding LP, I am above the level of the street lighting, nonetheless I'm still in the centre of a well lit and busy city.

I understand that it is possible to use LP filters or when I get the hang of things use a mono ccd with SII/Ha/OIII filters to reduce significantly the effect LP (I appreciate that the second step is quite advanced).

So if anyone has any experience of a site similar to mine and could give me an idea of what my expectations should be, I would very much appreciate it. (And as an aside, I live in Riga, Latvia which is approximately 57N - I guess astronomy is completely out of the question during summer?)

Thanks for taking the time to read my post and thanks in advance for any replies.

Hi - and welcome to the forum from another newcomer :smiley:

In Riga, pretty much from May 1 probably until around the middle of August, the astronomical twilight never ends (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twilight#Astronomical_twilight).

You can have a look at http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=602&month=5&year=2013&obj=sun&afl=-1&day=1 to find out when it's dark enough for observing nebulae and such.

But winter nights are good an long, on the other hand (which has its downsides as well, of course :smiley: ).

Clear skies,

Jens

Hi and welcome to SGL, if you have the correct equipment it will be possible to take some form of photos from you balcony, however, how they will turn out, with thermal currents from the building and your level of light pollution, can only be gauged once you try it out. I am afraid most will tell you, and quite correctly so, that imaging along with visual, is best done from a dark site for the best results :)

I don't know about wasting your time. But you are certainly making things difficult. it is possible using narrowband filters and black and white cameras to image from a light polluted site however. Not that I have ever done it only seen the pics. welcome to sgl

I do have a couple of questions regarding the site where I intend to start out, which is my balcony. Its on the third floor in the center of my city on the corner of my apartment block...So if anyone has any experience of a site similar to mine and could give me an idea of what my expectations should be

Pretty much in a similar situation but I do not image and my advice would be to say that If the astro-bug has bitten just get out there when you can, regardless of where you live.

Observing from gorgeous country skies is wonderful and should be done whenever possible, but if you rely only on these opportunities, you’ll wind-up observing once or twice a month. In this game, each of us have a proverbial 'cross to bear'. Some may live in the countryside, miles away from anywhere and be plagued by clouds two-thirds of the year, others will have reasonable skies during the year but a job dragging them from bed at some unearthly hour in the morning, so they can rarely get a decent night's innings, and so on.

For you and I, acknowledging that these these depressing LP skies are not going to change any time soon the answer is simple - observe when you can.

Let's assume we have an 8". What can we see from a city?

I figure most if not the entire Messier list will be possible. Sure, you won't see many of those objects with the detail offered by a dark site, but so what? You save up for those precious countryside moments, plan for them, look forward to them and really take advantage of them when they occur.

You'll be able to see many NGC objects, and you'll be able to feast on as many open star clusters as your heart desires. You'll be able to split myriad numbers of binary solar systems, and within our own, savour the haunting beauty of the Moon, Jupiter, Venus, Saturn, Mercury and even the Sun with proper solar-filters in place.

We can bemoan our lot, but it won't help our situation and isn't good for the spirit. Take advantage of the opportunities given by this enchanting hobby; giving significance to those lonely photons pouring into our eyes from those ancient, often violent events out-there. When you can, whenever it is possible get to a dark site, but I think after a while you'll end up forgetting the ugly light pollution and will simply begin to appreciate the beauty given and the awe and wonder stargazing evokes.

Hi again,

Many thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply. I guess i'll just have to try it and see - still half the fun will be in the learning and I guess I can master the basics from the comfort of my home before venturing out. Hopefully I'll get some half decent results, so I'll be sure to post them on this forum (and be requesting advice again :smiley:). Once again, many thanks.

Regards.

I am in complete agreement with Qualia.

You've just started so take your time and learn the skies you have. They're not the same for everyone. Once you know your way around a bit, then you can start thinking about what you can image, and when. You may find purely visual really 'does it' for you. One of the beauties of astronomy is the fact that most things come back year after year, giving you the opportunity to decide what you want to do 'this year'.

Relax, enjoy it and welcome to SGL. I'm sure you will.

Alan

Archived