NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

ring image on corrector glass of 8SE

I have found a image on the corrector of the 8SE I have. Its quite faint and doesn't efffect the viewing. It appears to be on the inside of the glass surrounding the secondary. I have only just noticed it and wondered if anyone can shed any light as to what it might be.

post-26735-0-38321500-1368367131_thumb.j

post-26735-0-07802600-1368367153_thumb.j

Looks a little like a calcite ring mark from evaporating water. Do you bring all your kit indoors after a session and leave the scope standing on its front cover? Mind you that would mean a lot of dew getting INSIDE the OTA for that to happen and I don't think dew contains calcite!!! (I live in a hard water area).

Either that or a rub mark from the retaining collar being screwed onto the secondary mirror assembly and someone not being very careful about touching the corrector plate whilst doing so.

Is it removeable nd is it a manufacturing error? if it is I could have it looked at as it about 9 months old. I mean it doesn't effect the viewing but is it something that can be corrected.

It is not something I have done but I want it righting as you would.

You can take the secondary out on the 'Fastar' systems. I did mine a little while ago to remove some swarf that had got onto the secondary mirror. Then I found out that the retaining collar isn't fixed to the corrector plate and so I couldn't screw the secondary back on without removing the corrector plate too!

I then worried about whether I had flipped the corrector plate before I put it back on! If you do decide to remove the corrector to try to clean it, mark the tube and the corrector (low tack tape is a good option) so that you get it all back in the same postion/orientation. Be careful what you clean the corrector with too. You don't want to scratch it and make it 10 times worse.

You would obviously have to recollimate afterwards.

I think most people on here would say, 'if it isn't causing you any problems then it's best to leave it alone'.

Archived