Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Extendable extension

ibraidwo

Has anyone come across an extendable extension before or come up with a design for one :icon_idea:

The top and bottom parts could be separate and could 'telescope' up and down with tightened bolts to hold it in place (like an oversized tripod leg), or even the central tube part could be interchangable bolting to top and bottom plates (which could also be interchangable for different mounts/tripods...

Crazy idea or potentially a good one?

I know I need an extension to reach zenith but I don't know what an optimum height would be... so an extendable or adaptable one could solve my problem!

Maybe I should just go back to sleep :icon_exclaim:

I think the OP is talking about height adjustment on the mount. TBH, even when maintaining alignment is not an issue, moving the centre of gravity up without widening the base is a recipe for disaster. I would go for an adjustable-height chair :)

Iffy or squiffy :grin:

Thanks for the responses. I have seen a number of pictures with extensions mounted on top of an EQ5 tripod to enable increased height for a long refractor. Is this not recommended due to stability and centre of gravity issues?

Have also just realised that if I did get a fixed height extension, I could always raise or lower the tripod to change the mount height :rolleyes2:

Archived