NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Nexstar 130 or 6SE Bundle?

Hello everyone,
I am new to astronomy and ready to make my first telescope purchase, but need a little advice on two scopes I like. (Or if you have another in mind...please let me know) I would like to buy a high quality scope for under $1,000 that I can grow into a little, one that will work for astrophotography purposes when I’m ready, and one that is somewhat portable. I am not all that interested in GoTo technology because I figure with Google Sky and a sky map, I am just fine. That being said, both of these scopes below have GoTo, but I can take it or leave it, I think.
I have narrowed my choice down to the following two:
-Celestron Nexstar 130 SLT computereized telescope bundle with 12v power pack and 1.25 inch Celestron eyepiece and filter kit. Price -- $549.98

-Celestron Nexstar 6se telescope bundle with 12 volt power pack and 1.25 inch Celestron eyepiece and filter kit. Price -- $859.98.

At first, I wasn’t going to buy either of these scopes with the bundle, and I was leaning heavily towards the 130SLT because of price, but the 6SE bundle seems like a really good deal (its only $60 more than the scope alone), and I plan on using the scope outside of my home, so the power pack seem necessary. The 130SLT bundle isn’t as good of a deal, but it is still cheaper than buying all separately.
So I guess my main question is whether the 6SE is worth an additional $300? If I wasn’t going to buy a power pack and the eyepieces, I might go with the 130SLT because the price for the scope alone is only $369 vs. $799 or the 6SE only.
Thanks for any help everyone
:)

Hi and welcome. This is certainly a head scratcher. Certainly the 6SE is the better choice of scope (bigger apeture,sturdier mount), but is it $300 better, for 1" of extra apeture.

Probably, but i'd find it hard to justify the extra $300.

I would like to buy a high quality scope for under $1,000 that I can grow into a little, one that will work for astrophotography purposes when I’m ready

To be honest, because of the fork mount design of both scopes, neither will be of very good use for imaging. To really do that effectively you would need a scope on an equatorial mount.

Not sure if any of this helps. I'm sure others will advise you better then i can.

If you can afford the difference I would recommend the 6SE, it is a very good allround telescope and its shorter physical length makes it more stable than the 130. I have a 8SE which is on the same mount so in effect the 6SE is better mounted. :smiley:

If you can afford the difference I would recommend the 6SE, it is a very good allround telescope and its shorter physical length makes it more stable than the 130. I have a 8SE which is on the same mount so in effect the 6SE is better mounted. :smiley:

Thanks for the tips.

I am really confused about the benefits of an equatorial mount. Is it beneficial only for astrophotography purposes, or are there other benefits? It seems there are very few scopes that come with one. The vast majority of scopes I see are computerized with GoTo. Any suggestions for a good scope on an equatorial mount?

Peter: Do you use your 8SE for astrophotography, and if so, how does it work?

OK I think I am settling on the Celestron Astromaster 114 EQ bundle with the motor drive accessary and eye piece and filter kit for $240. You can see it here: http://www.telescopes.com/telescopes/reflecting-telescopes/celestronpackageastromaster114eqreflectortelescope.cfm#pr-header-CELE248

It seems to me that this is a good quality scope that will allow me to get into the hobby with (what I consider to be) a small upfront investment of $240. I have been really conflicted because I want to buy a scope that is good quality and that I can grown into (hence my thought that the Nexstar 6SE was a good choice), but I also dont want to spend $1,000 on a scope now when I dont know much about astronomy yet, and in a year or two, I may want to buy a scope that is better and costs more than $1,000.

I haven't totally given up on the Nexstar 130 bundle, but I think the Astromaster is such a better deal and will allow me to get into the hobby at a lower starting point.

Any thoughts on this scope or my ramblings?

Archived