Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Desperately need a mount but unsure what to buy!

nitram100

Hi guys,

I am looking for a mount for my telescope in my sig. It will be purely visual and all I need is for it to be sturdy with as little vibrations as possible.

I was waiting for the LX80 but that appears to be a dud according to reviews on the net. So I popped to Astrofest in Feb and was surprised to see this new Celestron mount, but the guy was unsure whether it would work with my scope.

So basically

1. Celestron VX

or

2. Meade LX80

I think an NEQ6 might be overkill as I am purely vusual observer.

Thanks for any info

Of the two you have listed I would go with the Celestron. The LX 80 sounds like it is something to avoid. Personally I would be thinking about an HEQ5 as it can handle 15kg visually according to FLO website. My Revelation 10" newt comes in at about 12 kg. If your Orion is closer to the 15kg limit then you might need to consider that NEQ6 after all.

Thanks mate. Yeh, I am thinking I should just chump up the cash for an NEQ6 that way I am covered for a long time. Also, I find it hard to pay for a Celestron VX at £798 when it is $799 in USA, that just bugs me to no end.

I read that the VX payload is 30lbs and my scope weighs 12kg, so add a heavy eyepiece and I would probably be pushing it.

Only thing the VX has going for it right now is the 24 month warranty, I believe the EQ6 only has 12?

30lbs is less than 15kg so personally I can't see that it will be up to the job. 2 year warranty won't help if the mount can't handle the load.

Thanks for the info mate, I have just spotted an EQ6 Pro on a website with a free 2 year warranty for £959 so will probably grab that once I get paid on Thursday.

Thanks for the help!

Archived