SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

16.4.13 New BST EP and LP filter

Mattscar

Last night I finally got chance to try out my new 18mm BST and the Skywatcher Light Pollution filter I purchased a couple of weeks ago.

Seeing conditions were awful to say the least, so rather than spend hours trying to see things in terrible conditions I just did a simple road test with Jupiter and the Moon.

First off, I know that 18mm in a 650 scope isnt great at all for planetary observing, but I wanted something that I had observed alot through various EP's to compare it to. With just the 18mm inserted I could make out the disk of Jupiter and the 4 moons strung out to the side but, obviously, not much else. I then put in my barlow to double up which, again, I know adds more imperfections than just the EP but I at least wanted to see what it was like. Needless to say I was extremely impressed with the utter clarity of Jupiter even with a turbulent atmosphere I could still count the 5 cloud bands I can normally see. This completed the warm up as my real target was the moon, I just use Jupiter as a fun way of making sure my finder scope is aligned (even though I was going for the moon, which lets face it doesn't need that much in the way of finding).

I compared the views of the moon through the stock 25mm and the 18mm BST and was very pleased with the differences. Everything seemed clearer, more defined and just overall more impressive. Excitedly I put in the LP filter to see what difference that made.

Wow.

I didn't realise how yellow the moon was due to the light pollution until the filter came in to play. I had to take it out and put it back in a couple of times to let the difference really sink in. Previously when looking at the moon in the same area of sky I had no concerns about the colour/contrast of it as, to my untrained eyes, it looked fine and just like the photos everyone see's. The difference the LP filter made was astonishing. Still just as crisp and defined, but with the yellow tint removed that ball of rock looked truly amazing. I can't understate the difference the filter made. I know it wont have the same 'wow' effect when I get chance to use it on star clusters and DSO's, but the Lunar 100 is something I have recently started on and this filter is going to improve the experience no end.

After 20mins or so of just marveling at my new kit, I took out the BST and went for the stock 10mm, again with the LP filter to start going through the lunar list. Only managed to 'tick off' 3-4 things on the list as once I had found them I was reading up on them so I can properly understand what I am seeing, rather than going through them all as quickly as possible just to say I've done it.

All in all, even with a breeze and some terrible seeing, I still had a great couple of hours stood in the garden trying out my new kit. Now, bring on some properly clear skies and a driving license (in the works) so I can get on the Messier hunt again :)

Glad you like the BST, I have nothing but praise for the 12mm I recently bought. Sounds like a good appetite whetter, good luck for a good clear night soon to really get stuck in :)

Archived