Altair Astro 115mm Triplet or Celestron c8 sgt xlt

Looking to upgrade my 150mm reflector and having a tuff time choosing which scope I stuck between a Altair Astro 115mm Triplet refractor or a celestron c8 sgt xlt sct scope any help would be great.

These are totally different telescopes with diffrerent strong and weak points. You need to tell us what you would like to do with your scope. Visual? Planetary imaging? Deep sky imaging? The for and against will change with each activity. Also we'd need to know what mount and camera (if relevant) you intend to use.

Olly

http://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Other/Best-of-Les-Granges/22435624_WLMPTM#!i=2277139556&k=FGgG233

Thanks for the reply. A mixture of AP and plantary veiwing for AP i am using a nikon D5000 with an eq5 mount at the min, I would be hoping to fit the refractor to my eq5 but the 8" would be a whole new set up. I have taken some nice pics of jupiter with 150mm reflector but want to go further into it.

for me is the long FL up close with galaxys that interest me thats why i was after a c11 with the appature giving a photon collection boost, but they are hard to get hold of so a c9.25 with hyperstar is an option. the mount would be a NEQ6 as i have the pier and obsy ready

Hi

It will depend very much what you are mostly after, those are quite 2 different scopes and in a way quite "extreme" (as always, there are no "all around"): for deep sky imaging only, then the Altair, or for imaging/visual planetary only, then the C8. In a way they complement each other. For "in between" usage, can be a long debate. U did not mention the mount for the Altair, but the one coming with the C8 is good match for both visual/imaging (and they have now also the C8 on the new VX mount which looks pretty good)

For visual deep sky (visual like imaging), you would certainly need to add a field reducer to the C8 to increase FOV/reducing f and for better deep sky imaging (still workable without). Personnaly I think the C8 with a field reducer is getting closer to an "all around" than the Altair (with the C8, you will be better on planet thanks to the higher magnification -almost twice possible- and with a field reducer to F7 you can do a good deep sky imaging job). The C8 edge HD may be better than the conventional C8 for best coma/field curvature. Keep in mind limitation of such C8 like cooling time if u are not patient in getting into your session.

Regards

As others said.

DSO Imaging - Altair 115

Planetary imaging - C8

DSO observing - C8 - Get a 2" visual back and a large 2" wide field such as 30 S5K UWA, 31 Nagler, 40 Aero, or 42 LVW. You don't need focal reducer if you use a 2" wide field eyepieces. (In fact FR doesn't work at all with these 2")

Planet observing - both should do fine

for sure the C9,25 will be nicer than the C8. A matter of budget.

A C8 with some more accessoires like field reducer or 2" set up may be more interesting/versatile than the C9.25 without those (more a question from my side, I am not that sure ;-)

The C8 shall be OK on EQ5. may be bordeline/not work for the C9.25 + camera.

Archived