Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SCT Diagonal upgrade

Hugh

Hi All,

I've been looking at upgrading my standard Celestron diagonal (1.25") and the WO and TV Everbrites are looking attractive.

Question is, will I see the difference?

Any suggestions, alternatives (or bargains for that matter :D) gratefully received.

Cheers

Hugh

Oh, it's for my 6SE BTW

Hi All,

I've been looking at upgrading my standard Celestron diagonal (1.25") and the WO and TV Everbrites are looking attractive.

Question is, will I see the difference?

Any suggestions, alternatives (or bargains for that matter :D) gratefully received.

Cheers

Hugh

Oh, it's for my 6SE BTW

Hugh,

I made the same upgrade to my C5 - from the standard diagonal to a Televe Everbright and, although the Evebright was very well made and had a compression rings fitting for eyepieces, optically TBH I did not notice much, if any difference. I have also tried the William Optics equivilent with similar results.

Maybe my eyes are not acute enough to notice the subtle differences :D

John

Thanks John,

It's useful to get an experienced opinion as all the stats and lovely pictures make we want to buy one ...

I might spend that budget on a UHC-s filter then

Hugh

I've got a Baader UHS-S and that does work - especially on planetary nebulae. It makesa noticable difference in my 4 inch so should do even more in your 6 inch. I can barely see the Veil and Owl nebs without it.

John

I wonder if anyone has the reflectivity spec on a bog standard celestron diagonal - maybe they're not that far behind the 99% that WO and TV etc quote for their dialectric models?

Mind you, if that's the case and I was a manufcturer, I'm not sure how forthcoming I'd be about it.

It could be the 10th wave surface, thickness of pyrex? and overall build quality that you're paying for.

(I do like the look of the WO carbon one tho...)

A second thanks to your John! I was thinking of getting a better star diagonal for my Skywatcher 90mm Mak, but if as you say, there is not much difference then I shall leave as is. How about the "dialectric" star diagonals - are they any better?

Regards,

philsail1

The Everbright and the WO diagonals that I tried were ones with dielectric coatings. I'm not saying that they were poor in any way, very nicely made in fact, I was just a tad dissapointed that there was no noticable positive impact on the image having forked out a fair amount of dosh (they were more expensive then than they are now).

Maybe a more experienced observer would have noticed a difference - in all honesty I could not.

John

Hi Hugh I have found the same thing with diagonals I have now got two spares regards Stephen

Which ones have you got Stephen - there does seem to be a theme here ? I read somewhere that standard diagonals were somewhere between 90 & 95% reflectivity.

Anyone got any thoughts?

Hugh

I have a C5 and have used both the standard celestron diagonal and a 2" WO one, originally as a push fit but now modded to sct thread.. the 2" wo is way better than the standard celestron one.. in fact I wasnt that impressed with mine at all, but maybe I had been spoilt using the 2" for so long.

The other handy thing with the 2" is that the 1.25" adaptor is threaded to take filters, so using 2" filters you can leave the same one on and change eyepieces without the usual messing around. just dont ever drop a plossl into the adaptor as some are long enough to hit the filter and could damage it.

A frequently made comment is that a diagonal upgrade can be the most disappointing upgrade you can make... GSO's 2" standard diagonal does it for me. I also have an Antares 2" 99% dielectric, but I haven't compared them side by side.

There's an article on the cloudynights website called '7 Essential Accessories for SCT Owners' (I'm not sure if I'm allowed to link to it). The author lists Essential upgrade #5 as a William Optics SCT Diagonal, and actually throws away the ones that come supplied with his telescopes! Clearly he seems to think there's a big difference, but he's the only person I've heard of to make such a dramatic claim, especially as he's done this 70 times!

Archived