NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Photos of M3

While I was looking through my scope the other night I noticed a very faint smudge near and above BOOTES. I assume it is m3 but my scope can't focus it greatly even when I use my 6mm and 2x Barlow it does nothing. I haven't even began to try and catch an image of it. I was wondering if any body has any images of it? Am I correct by it being a smudge. I have an orion starblast 4.5" scope using an eq1 and don't even understand the set circles or degree thing. I just polar align and point and shoot.

I cant give massively specific advice, as Im still new to this myself and have not tried M3 yet I dont think, but Id certainly say trying to find it with a barlowed 6mm may not be the best idea. Usually clusters like that show up nicely in lower powered EP's. Hopefully someone wiser than me can come along to confirm this :)

While I was looking through my scope the other night I noticed a very faint smudge near and abo it hasve BOOTES. I assume it is m3 but my scope can't focus it greatly even when I use my 6mm and 2x Barlow it does nothing. I haven't even began to try and catch an image of it. I was wondering if any body has any images of it? Am I correct by it being a smudge. I have an orion starblast 4.5" scope using an eq1 and don't even understand the set circles or degree thing. I just polar align and point and shoot.

Hi,

Download Cartes du Ceil, it is a free and very powerful software, enter your location's co ordinates and sync the software to your computer system time. Then in the search area enter the M or NGC number of any object you want and it will show you where these DSOs are plus the stars around them( use the telrad button or zoom in as much as you want), and yes that probably was M3 in Bootes

as at mag 6.5 it shoild be visible with your scope. Happy hunting.

A.G

Hi,

Download Cartes du Ceil, it is a free and very powerful software, enter your location's co ordinates and sync the software to your computer system time. Then in the search area enter the M or NGC number of any object you want and it will show you where these DSOs are plus the stars around them( use the telrad button or zoom in as much as you want), and yes that probably was M3 in Bootes

as at mag 6.5 it shoild be visible with your scope. Happy hunting.

A.G

Archived