Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Attaching an ST80 to an 80ED

Howdy,

Any ideas how I can go about attaching an ST80 to an 80ED as a guide scope? Do I need to get tube rings for the ST80? (I got the tabletop version which doesn't come with tube rings). And then how does it fit together? I don't have access to drills etc so I can't do any DIY stuff...

Thanks.

Tube rings and a dovetail would be the most obvious way. You could drop FLO (the forum sponsor) an email and explain what you want to do, I'm sure they would be happy to help.

You can buy dedicated guidescope rings as well which enable you to adjust where the guidescope is pointing (to help locate a guide star), although some prefer ordinary fixed rings to reduce possible flexure.

Great, thanks! I am going to give the fixed rings and dovetail bar a go

The ED80 has 1/4"-20 threaded holes on the top of its tube rings so you can attach the new dovetail bar to these using matching bolts. You will have to drill out the two existing holes in the new bar to take the slightly larger bolts (the original holes in the bar are drilled and tapped for 6mm bolts)

This is what you are aiming for:-

post-1029-0-92195100-1365858180_thumb.jp

Archived