Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Dome build

mariaone

Hi Maria - get yourself well first - the obsy can wait awhile. South Norfolk Council - you've awoken a paper tiger ;-)

Much as we love our proposed "observatory", it's best to not use this term in the first place - in reality it's "a garden shed with opening roof to view the star" for the recreational use of the householder much like the commonplace garden greenhouse or workshop etc and long as it's

1] not in front of the street building line

2] not attached to the house [so it can't be lived in - you'd be surprised!],

3] not over 4m high and

5] doesn't exceed a certain volume and is

6] not in a conservation area then

= no building control or planning permission is required.

How many sheds, erected without permission, abutt your property - many I suspect. I challenged my Council that my 4m dome was "pitched" and clearly not "flat" and won!

My obsy built awhile ago in pic below much like your proposed obsy - good luck :police:

good information there, and whilst I appreciate your helping I would advise anyone considering such a build to seek written conformation that no planning application is required as there are other factors which may come into force. For example there could be an existing condition on a previous application associated with the land removing all permitted development rights. You may also be in a SSSI or AONB and your PD writes might be affected.

Its safe to say the British Planning system is very confusing at best and very at prescribing what you cannot do and not very good at telling you what you can do.....

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You may also be in a SSSI or AONB and your PD writes might be affected.

Its safe to say the British Planning system is very confusing at best and very at prescribing what you cannot do and not very good at telling you what you can do.....

National Parks are another minefield (unfortunate as they have the darkest skies)luckily I'm a valley or two south of Snowdonia so no planning permission required.

National Parks are another minefield (unfortunate as they have the darkest skies)luckily I'm a valley or two south of Snowdonia so no planning permission required.

Ah yes, good point, another one I had forgotten. We don't make it easy on ourselves do we......

• 5 weeks later...

The British planning system has nothing on Greece. I'm trying to get permission for a 2.5m dome-shed at the end of my garden in a rural village. More red tape and fees I have not seen. Plus I'll probably be taxed on the existance of the structure once built. The British system seems like luxury....

Back on topic though, I'm interested to see how this build thread goes. There are a lot of ROR threads, but hardly any domes.

Good luck with it.

David

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived