Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SW200P Collimation

Hi all!

I am embarrassed to admit it but I have been putting collimation off since I got my scope end of January. I know.....shockingly bad form, but I have been quite nervous to attempt it and it has seemed OK for the use it has got so far.(3 nights).

OK, so the problem is not so much what to do (I have read and watch every tutorial available, many, many times) as I know how everything should be. The problem I am having is I can not undo the secondary screws!! I feel if I put any more force into it I will end up bending the spider vains. So I am a little stuck.

I have rung around a few places, local astronomy club ( no answer) and other places dont seem to have a phone number. And TBH they only meet once a month. It would benefit me so much to go and see someone to help me collimate for the first time. I really dont think I would have a problem if I could loosen off these blooming screws!! Driving me a bit nuts.

I live a few miles from the herstmonceux observatory, east sussex. If you are an experience newtonian astronomer and you live near to where I am, and are willing to help out a newbie with some of your time, then please let me know. I will travel.

If you have any other advice on this matter I am all ears. Though I feel like I have read everything on the internet on this matter, so far.

Anyways, thanks for reading

Cheers

Jez

Jez, The screws are probably just a bit sticky. If you Hold the spider with one hand and resist the force of you unscrewing the adjusters, you will most likely find that they pop undone. The vanes are pretty strong.

Jez, The screws are probably just a bit sticky. If you Hold the spider with one hand and resist the force of you unscrewing the adjusters, you will most likely find that they pop undone. The vanes are pretty strong.

Hi Alan

Thanks for the reply. I have read this before and did try supporting whilst trying to loosen but it still wouldn't. I will have another attempt now.

Thanks for your help

Jez

Thanks Alan :)

The secondary position was OK (using collimation cap) but the alignment was visually a good 1 1/2" out from centre. This may have been from me loosening off the centre screw though. Once that was all aligned the primary was about 1/2-3/4 cm out. I was surprised at how easy the primary was to adjust. I dont know whether this is an upgrade for the black diamond version of the 200p but I was expecting allen keys and screws, but they are easily adjustable thumb screws. :)

As much as I have searched I can not find a way too 'cloud test' for checking collimation ;) so I guess I will have to be patient for the next clear sky to see the difference.

I am so pleased I have finally done it. And like I said before, I dont know what I was so worried about. I think reading to many posts and hearing of horror stories put me off a bit. I know that for imaging, really good collamation is a must, and being more bias towards the imaging side of things (although I love observing too) It is shocking that it has taken me this long to actually get around to doing it.

At the end of the day, its all good now.

ATB

Jez

hi Jez, I have the same ota as you and check collimation every time I set up now. its a 1 or 2 minute job that usually only has to be adjusted every third of forth time but it takes the doubt out of the equation. Haven't touched the secondary for who knows how long.

Hi Scott.

I will check collimation every time now. Once I had the secondary screw loosened it really was a straight forward job and didn't take me long, and I wasn't rushing. Like you say, just a 1 or 2 min job. And considering the time we get to use the scope here in UK, that isn't much to ask to eliminate collimation from any imaging errors that may occur.

I have a new coma corrector I haven't used yet as well. Didn't realise i needed a different adapter to the one I have already for the 1100D, FLO should deliver this week. So with that and good collimation combined I am hoping to notice quite a difference.

Hopefully some clear skies soon, exciting stuff! :D

Jez

Archived