Need help with information on buying a new mount!

i have a sky-watcher MAK127 on a basic goto mount and i want to get an equatorial mount so i can do some longer exposure photography. what will i need to track? do i just need the mount? also, what is the difference between a single and a dual drive system for the mound? any help would be much appreciated as i really want to get into astrophotography!

If you really want to do astrophotograhy not just any gem will do. you need something that is very accurate in both axis and for a mak you deinitely need to do guided. Get http://www.firstlightoptics.com/books/making-every-photon-count-steve-richards.html

it will tell you what you need and more importantly why. You need to get the book before you buy any more equipment as It may save you a bit of money that way

I'm also +1 for the book, dont make the mistake of just jumping into the water without testing it out. Do research, read books on the subject, and ask questions. All the members here on SGL are super nice and would love to help you out. Now I have a CG-5 equatorial mount and it works great for the price. Have a look around at some other equatorial mount and see which fits your budget. I also have the magnificent mini autoguider. The auto guider will help you keep the object your looking at centered, which will help you out with some longer exposures.

Hope this helps you out.

Be.

Archived