NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Superb Saturn

kerrylewis

Finally got that superb Saturn view . Got up around 2.30 and the seeing was excellent with the planet steady in the 10 mm eyepiece. Cassini division clear and subtle banding on the disc. Tried the 6mm Radian and even at almost x400 the view was solid. A blue filter helped with the contrast and I also think that the slight reduction in brightness helps. The view then had a distinct 3D feel with the rings wrapped around the planet. What a thrilling sight.

The Motofocus is proving its worth too. It is great to give the buttons a quick dab and get a slight adjustment in focus which you can see immediately without waiting for any vibrations to settle.

Last evening the seeing for Jupiter was not so good although a moon shadow transit was visible. So I was not expecting much for Saturn. Nice to exceed expectations.

Also bagged a couple of Messiers - 65 and 66 in Leo. My mind is always suitably boggled when I think that the little smudge of light that I am looking at left its home hundreds of millions of years ago. Almost unimaginable - and they are some of the closer ones!

A wonderful couple of hours - the only downer: I nudged the scope and knocked the Telrad off ! I'll have to get some cable ties as everyone recommends, the sticky pads are obviously not up to it.

I have had my new Celestron now for just over 2 months and I am loving it

Kerry

Sorry, getting carried away. About 35 or 40 million years (depending on which book you read) but still suitably boggling

quite right.....you wouldn't want to walk it :).

Sounds like you had a great night. pleased for you

Sounds like you timed it just right with the seeing. I bet you're loving the SCT, that's a large aperture! Interesting info on the blue filter. I'm still tempted to buy a set for planetary contrast and also reduce brightness. Saturn is way bright!! I struggle with focus with planets but maybe it is a contrast issue I'm having as well. Have to give the filters a shot. Clear skies.

Thanks Steve, now why can't they do one of those as a UHC filter?! Do you find this as versatile for planets as having a set of colored filters? Obviously it is pretty handy, though! I've never looked into this type before.

Archived