NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Return to asteroid hunting

It had been a while since I last had a good hunt for asteroids but after spending a couple of nights earlier in the week hunting galaxies, last night I turned my attention to minor planets. Leo is at a good altitude in the late evening at the moment so I set about finding what I could in this area.

Located and identified 6 in the end over a three hour session. Would have been more but I got distracted in the Virgo cluser :rolleyes:

192 Nausikaa

63 Ausonia

14 Irene

22 Kaliope

362 Havnia

65 Cybele

Also had a look for 551 Ortrud as it was showing very close to 65 Cybele but at almost mag 15 I was never really expecting to see it. All were located using a combination of PSA and CdC as guides (see attached finder). I use the RDF on my 250mm scope to "jump" to a nearby(ish) bright star and then a combination of finder scope / 32mm / 11mm eyepieces to get to the final target.

Did get a little distracted along the way looking for some faint NGC's that were in the vicinity (3020, 3024 not far from Regulus) but was not able to find them. And then distracted again whilst looking for 14 Irene as it was close to M98 and M100.

The last forecast clear night coming up tonight, asteroids or galaxies - decisions, decisions.

post-16479-0-96820200-1365268378_thumb.j

Well clear skies again last night so had a second night at this, although the night was cut short by the atmospheric conditions which deteriorated soon after midnight BST. To kick the session off I revisited a couple of the targets from the last session (see first post). The acid test for asteroid hunting is to see if what you thought was your asteroid moves over time. I checked on both 192 Nausikaa and 65 Cybele to find both had moved slightly confirming they are asteroids or at least they are not stars!

After renewing my confidence in my technique I set about finding more. I added 12 Victoria, 54 Alexandra, 29 Amphitrite and 13 Egeria to my collection. All of these were challenging, not because they are faint but because the conditions were not as good and field stars that should be visible weren't. Trying to find the constellation Sextans at all was a challenge!

This brings the recorded total number of asteroids I have seen to 25. I need to find some more viable (brighter than mag 14) targets for the next session although looking at the forecast now there is no hurry!

You certainly rattled a few off there! What with all this cloud, the last asteroid I managed to observe was 13 Egeria on February 2nd.

I will be off to Kelling Heath on Monday and given the chance of a clear sky (slim) I will have a go at 39 Laetitia, 26 Proserpina and 27 Euterpe.

All of them main belt asteroids as far as I understand.

I was trying to see 39 Laetitia last night but the conditions deteriorated before I could get to it. 40 Harmonia is not far from Laetitia and roughly the same in terms of brightness (dimness?) This was also on my list last night.

Archived